• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte HD6970 2GB GDDR5 OC on BF3 Multi Player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ROKM_SYLYNT

Registered
Hey what's up guys. New here and joined because after playing BF3 beta on my GTS250 card i decided to finally upgrade my video card and ordered a Gigabyte HD6970 online.

It's my first AMD/ATI card i've ever owned and i wanted to try it cause i heard great things about AMD/ATI since the counter-strike days so i gave it a shot.

Main thing for me of course was the price cause i wasn't gonna cought up an extra $100 for a nVdia GTX580 when everyone was saying the 6970 is just as good.

So far im not very impressed. Of course from my GTS250 my first reaction was WOW but after a bit of playing and noticing glitchy play, and some video lag i was praying that there would be some driver updates that would fix it.

Down the line they had a update. i think it was 11-9 and i even did the cap4 update but it started crashing. I would get stuck in a frozen screen, sound would loop, and i cant do anything. cntrl+alt+del didnt work and even my keyboard was totally frozen. so i had to hard restart the computer.

I found this board and was reading though other members settings and tried this and that but nothing worked until someone mentioned a 11.10 preview3 beta driver. So far so good, ive played for 1hr+ straight with not as much lag and or crashed. very smooth compared to the 11.9 driver.

My friends bugging me to join him in a game right now so ill add more details later and keep this posted.

:welcome:to OCF

Glad you got your card to work, that has always been the achilles heel for AMD, their drivers, that said once they sort it out their graphics hardware is really solid.

As a note some of the tech sites are noting that AMD drivers are having issues with BF3 right now. Apparently during the beta AMD cards were doing great but at some point something broke on the software side.

While this has been most noticeable in systems utilizing CF it is at least possible that any issues you may be experiencing are related.

The 6970 is a great card, though as Brolloks noted AMD/ATI's Achilles heel has always been drivers. One positive note is that AMD/ATI is aware of the issue and hopefully will have everything sorted out in relatively short order.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great forum. I'm a car guy and im on alot of car forums and most guys on there are jerks so this is a nice change. Glad i joined.

I was kinda regretting taking this step to try a ATI card but i think im just going to ride it out and see where it takes me. My computer is kinda old. Still on a core 2 duo @ 3.0GHz so i ordered a 6 core processor and motherboard earlier today. It was gonna happen since the week before i got a crazy deal on 16gb of DDR3 memory. Excited to see how it'll all perform.

Brolloks thanks for that link. I just finished downloading it so ill try it out. Will keep you guys posted.

ok just got back from a couple hours of play. the new driver gives better performance and graphics but i am still crashing. but i can say better crashes because i actually get an error and brings me out to windows instead of getting stuck and having to reset the computer. i still have to cntrl+alt+del and end task on bf3 but atleast i dont have to do a cold restart. im sure they will fix this sooner or later. my rank will have to suffer for now.

oh and thanks watchthisspace, i wasnt sure if i was supposed to install the CAP so i didnt but now i know. was gonna ask here but you answered already =)

Most new AAA titles tend to have a release issue with either ATI/AMD or Nvidia cards, but both companies are quick to sort out any problems. Just keep an eye on driver releases over the next couple of weeks and it should be fixed soon.

what's the best way to keep posted on driver updates? i know people use twitter and stuff these days for stuff like that. how do you guys find out about updates?

shoot, i cant even get in anymore. keeps crashing when the game loads.

was there another update today? worked fine last night.

Generally I find out about updates from this site, although I think if you use STEAM it will notify you of driver updates.

Edit: I'm reading on another forum I frequent that several Nvidia users who have 560ti's are also seeing similar issues in BF3 (game CTOD's in ~1hour or general artifacting). 570/580 users don't appear to be having the same problems, so it's probably driver related.

Last edited:
Generally I find out about updates from this site, although I think if you use STEAM it will notify you of driver updates.

Edit: I'm reading on another forum I frequent that several Nvidia users who have 560ti's are also seeing similar issues in BF3 (game CTOD's in ~1hour or general artifacting). 570/580 users don't appear to be having the same problems, so it's probably driver related.

yea my friend bought a gtx580 when i bought my HD6970 and he has no issues. messed up cause he's getting up high in the ranks when we started together cause i cant play online =/

i almost called to return my card but looking at the prices on gtx580 cards dettered me.

well my friend said to try to update my punkbuster and i went to do that and found for some odd reason, i didnt have punkbuster already installed. i swear i did cause i remember having to add bf3 in it before. but anyways had to install it, which let me into the servers. then another thing he noticed is to use the lowest refresh rate video setting and i did that and it smooth as a babys arse right now. i played since 7pm til now without any crashes or glitches. so far so good.

=/ always human error

so far ive had no more crashes since my last update.

multiplayer has been going well and co-op is almost done with. i guess im keeping this card and hoping for even better performance.

took a step and upgraded my old core 2 duo to a AMD FX 4100 Quad, 16Gigs of DDR3, new 6gb/s hard drive and kept the HD6970 so much better on a new 23" acer led monitor at 1080. my previous monitor was only 1050 and my friend suggested the upgrade and im glad i did.

not saying it doesn't crash anymore. it does. so far once since i upgraded my specs. but its not as bad as it used to be. just goes to a black screen or crashes out to windows.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great forum. I'm a car guy and im on alot of car forums and most guys on there are jerks so this is a nice change. Glad i joined.

I was kinda regretting taking this step to try a ATI card but i think im just going to ride it out and see where it takes me. My computer is kinda old. Still on a core 2 duo @ 3.0GHz so i ordered a 6 core processor and motherboard earlier today. It was gonna happen since the week before i got a crazy deal on 16gb of DDR3 memory. Excited to see how it'll all perform.

Brolloks thanks for that link. I just finished downloading it so ill try it out. Will keep you guys posted.
u on ukmkivs.co.uk???

welcome to the ATI family =) i went over to ati when the 4xxx series came out and never looked bak... much better bang for the buck
O btw does anyone here play RAGE ?? its so damn glitchy wanna knw if anyone managed to get it working

Back