• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-4100 Unlock to 8 cores ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jammw69

AMD FX-4100 Unlock to 8 cores ?? I'm just curious if anybody knows if you can unlock the FX-4100 to 8 cores someone put a review on newegg. I'm just curious if it's true.

I really dont think so. AMD said months ago that the FX series will not have unlocking features like that on the PII series did. Considering the module design of the chip I would have to agree with that statement.

Like most Bulldozer stuff there are rumors and more rumors for far too long a period of time. Somebody was reading the MSI 990 chipset features and is sure that MSI board is going to unlock FX processors. I read the MSI blurb and did not get the idea that FX processors would unlock, but you know rumors and the internet...go for it.

Well I already ordered a new motherboard. To go along with my new CPU FX-4100 :( But will be getting rid of the CPU I did not know the FX-4100 was not very good before ordering it . So I will be getting me a Phenom II X6 1090T

Well I already ordered a new motherboard. To go along with my new CPU FX-4100 :( But will be getting rid of the CPU I did not know the FX-4100 was not very good before ordering it . So I will be getting me a Phenom II X6 1090T

Currently that probably is an awesome move. :)

AMD FX-4100 Unlock to 8 cores ?? I'm just curious if anybody knows if you can unlock the FX-4100 to 8 cores someone put a review on newegg. I'm just curious if it's true.

I am planning on getting the FX 4100 or the Phenom x4 965. There has been so much "bad talk" about the chip from review sites but persons who bought it from Newegg.com all gave it 5 egg ratting. One dude said that we should just ignore the reviews because to him it feels faster than his Phenom x4 965. Just saw on there also where this other guy said using his Sabertooth motherboard he was able to UNLOCK THE AMD FX 4100 TO 8 CORES. I don't know how true that is. Can anyone verify?

Newegg Link...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996&Tpk=amd fx 4100

Last edited:
There was a review on the Egg that someone got it to unlock on a Sabertooth. But we all know how reliable those reviews can be. All in all though, no one has anything bad to say about the 4100

I'm sure there are websites dedicated entirely to crazy crap in Newegg reviews. I saw one once where someone gave a full size PCIexpress graphics card 1/5 because it didn't fit his laptop ...

I'm sure there are websites dedicated entirely to crazy crap in Newegg reviews. I saw one once where someone gave a full size PCIexpress graphics card 1/5 because it didn't fit his laptop ...

I got it to fit eventually but now my laptop won't close all the way.

Till somebody legit posts a review or something about it I'll remain skeptical.

Historically AMD has only been right about half the time they have said you won't be able to unlock their stuffs.

Well it might be well to remember what the original unlocking was all about. AMD supplied the motherboard makers with the necessary infomation to 'unlock' the locked cpus. THEN after a while AMD decided there would be no more unlocking since the unlocking was ever more pushing their sales toward the <$100.00 range. They no longer furnished the codes when the 890 chipsets came out and it fell on the mobo companies using the previous information to work out their own unlocking procedures, which are no longer supported by AMD.

Now if there is never any initial help from AMD to unlock the newer FX cpus, then it will likely be sometime before the mobo companies can come up with an unlocking of the cores on FX processor if ever. It is best when looking at rumors and such to know history. It can keep us from wasting a lot bandwidth and time. Luck to all.

I received my AMD FX-4100 I cannot unlock it on my motherboard ASRock 970 EXTREME4 also I had to update my BIOS. FX-4100 seems to be performing a little bit better than my older x4 2.8ghz oc to 3ghz, games I had been running I had seen a improvement in FPS program is Fraps.

Since the AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz is running at 3.6Ghz and thus 0.6Ghz faster than your older X4, I would hope it is a little faster or overall the FX series is certainly not much better than the older P2 cpus.

Like most Bulldozer stuff there are rumors and more rumors for far too long a period of time. Somebody was reading the MSI 990 chipset features and is sure that MSI board is going to unlock FX processors. I read the MSI blurb and did not get the idea that FX processors would unlock, but you know rumors and the internet...go for it.

If anyone wants to send me an FX-4100, I will be happy to test this. :thup:

I'm waiting for the 8170 or B2 steppings before I make any headway into Bulldozer. Unless, of course, this unlocking thing pans out. Then you bet your happy *** I'll pick up a 4100 for giggles.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I didn't see the point in creating a new thread for this little tidbit of information. I unlocked my FX 4100 to 8 cores on my Asus motherboard. In the BIOS it says cores 5,6,7, and 8 are on, HOWEVER, even though they're "on", they don't work. They're only detected by the BIOS, and nothing else. After I'm in Windows, nothing else detects any more than 4 cores, and therefore only uses 4 cores.

When I replaced FX-8120 with Sempron 145 without clearing bios on CHV then bios saw sempron as 8 core cpu ... I think it's about the same :)

I tried manually turning off and then back on cores 5-8, and then I get a message in the BIOS stating something along the lines of "This CPU does not support core unlocking". I don't get that message with the automatic unlocker. Still, it doesn't work, and there's no way to get 8 cores for the price of 4.

Back