• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOOT! Phenom II 955BE @ 3800!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquaman78

I finally managed to get my 955BE to hit 3800 stable! I just replaced a dead MSI motherboard with an ASUS M5A97 board and it seems that this board helped get this CPU up where I wanted it. It has been Prime95 stable for the past 2 hours with max temp of 55C. Settings are 19x200, HT Link @ 1800, voltage is at 1.44. I had to keep the bus speed at 200 and just up the multi's and keep the HT Link below 2000 to get it stable, but it's chugging along! What impresses me the most is that it's being cooled by an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 60 :eek:. Here are some screens of CPU-Z and ASUS utility.
If anyone has any advice/tips on how I can push this further, I'm open for suggestions!

screens1f.jpg

Last edited:
For a cooler spec'd for 200watts...that is a pretty darn good clock man. Congrats and have some putering fun now you got it sorted out.

do you have load line calibration on or off? you can play around with that to try and lower your temps a bit or if its on try going lower in small increments iin voltage till it crashes. Also, is your cpu voltage set to auto or manual?

do you have load line calibration on or off? you can play around with that to try and lower your temps a bit or if its on try going lower in small increments iin voltage till it crashes. Also, is your cpu voltage set to auto or manual?

LLC is enabled. When I disable it, the voltage is lower than what I set it to and I see Vdroop while running P95...thus resulting in a crash. I set the voltages manually and I'll try your suggestions and drop the voltage in small increments.
Right now it's idling at 35C @ 1.404v and should also be noted that the Arctic Silver 5 is still very fresh...was installed last night.

Thats pretty good idle temps too. My 965 idles at 37c, though it seems something is alwasy going on in the background and its always a little warm in this room. Once your completely happy with the settings check out K10Stat.
You can configure 4 power stats for the cpu. I have mine set so that in idle conditions it'll run at 250Mhz and reduce to 0.8625v

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6408890&postcount=11
another guide that includes setting it up to run in the background and start up with windows automatically.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...iffin-cpu-undervolting-guide-ql-rm-si-zm.html

LLC is enabled. When I disable it, the voltage is lower than what I set it to and I see Vdroop while running P95...thus resulting in a crash.
Right now it's idling at 35C @ 1.404v and should also be noted that the Arctic Silver 5 is still very fresh...was installed last night.

Some of the best background information supplied by a user in months. Thanks man as it gives those needing real information what is required. Good deal man.

LLC is enabled. When I disable it, the voltage is lower than what I set it to and I see Vdroop while running P95...thus resulting in a crash. I set the voltages manually and I'll try your suggestions and drop the voltage in small increments.

The other thing you can try is set a higher voltage with LLC off, like 1.46-47 which would give you a slighty higher idle temp, but a lower load temp, this works for me, but LLC is pretty "mileage may vary" so its always worth a shot.

The other thing you can try is set a higher voltage with LLC off, like 1.46-47 which would give you a slighty higher idle temp, but a lower load temp, this works for me, but LLC is pretty "mileage may vary" so its always worth a shot.

I was thinking this very same thing earlier when I was working to get it stable. I may give that a try if the load temps don't go down once the AS5 has time to 'settle.

I was thinking this very same thing earlier when I was working to get it stable. I may give that a try if the load temps don't go down once the AS5 has time to 'settle.

Definitely worth a shot, my temps went down by about 6 degrees under load, thats big, for a hungry 140 watt C2 955.

Scratch that...I just did some digging around and realized the truth. Slower RAM with lower timings on a higher clocked CPU is actually faster than RAM on a faster bus with higher timings. :shrug: Correct?

Scratch that...I just did some digging around and realized the truth. Slower RAM with lower timings on a higher clocked CPU is actually faster than RAM on a faster bus with higher timings. :shrug: Correct?

I think its the fact that phenom II's support 1333 that you don't see too much of an increase in performance past that, but you do see more performance with lower timings, like 7-7-7-22 on ram rated for 8-8-8-24 at 1600, if you want it to run at 1600 you might have to up the voltage to 1.65 from the stock 1.5v, but cpu speed trumps all in performance gains so if you have to sacrifice some memory speed to gain some cpu speed you still come out ahead.

For some reason, mine would not even POST when I set it to 1600. This RAM's default voltage is 1.65v and that's what I had it set to. Could it be that my HT is too high, or does that even matter?

HT below or at 2000 MHz should not be a problem.
Have you try to set the ram from 1T to 2T?

HT below or at 2000 MHz should not be a problem.
Have you try to set the ram from 1T to 2T?

Yeah, right now I have it running at 1070 and I manually set the CAS to 8 with CR at T1. So far so good. I'm guessing that due to my high OC, 1600 is going to be out of the question.

Back