• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 2500k Overheating w/ Stock cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

I just finished building my computer and cannot get past Bios because the CPU is overheating (80+ degrees celcius). The Heatsink is mounted tightly on the CPU and it is at stock clocks (3.3GHz). It starts to load in past BIOS then says CPU Temperature is high and tells me to hit F1 to go to setup. When I first get into setup its usually at around 84 degrees then over the span of a minute steadily lowers down to low 60s, high 50s. I'm at a loss here. I turned off turbo boost and the memory is running at 1600 instead of its native 1866. CPU cooler is running at about 2000 RPM trying to keep it cool. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The heat sink does not move and I can confirm it is running at max speeds.

Also the only thing I can really think of, is the spread and thickness of cpu gel, I've always used an very thin layer, if it came with paste on the sink, then I would really just rma all of it.

Um I removed the cooler and replace it and it's now magically working at about 40 degrees. So confused. Assuming the dummy screws weren't in correctly.

Um I removed the cooler and replace it and it's now magically working at about 40 degrees. So confused. Assuming the dummy screws weren't in correctly.
It is one of two things. Either the heatsink wasn't fully installed (one pin was not completely in) or the TIM application was wrong (too much/too little). Glad it was resolved, though.

Thanks for all the help anyways guys. I'm guess one of the 4 plastic screws didn't go in correctly, at least I don't have to weep now.

Back