• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need to do for a stable 5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Braheem24

Thank you all for the wonderful info on this board...

I setup my system for FSX which is very CPU intensive. What would I need to achieve 5GHZ or 4.5+ with my combo?

I saw some OC settings of my CPU/MOBO setup when I was researching but cant seem to find them now that I setup the system.

My specs are:

i5-2500K @ 4.5GHZ
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
Ripjaws X Series 8GB @ 2133
Corsair Force 3 SSD 90GB @ Raid 0
CORSAIR Pro HX750
AMD 6950 2GB DDR5
Antec Nine Hundred
Noctua NH-U9B
Win7 Pro 64

Thanks in advance,

Ibrahim

Yeah 2500 k chips are not that easy to get stable at 5 Ghz without quite a bit of vcore and that means good cooling too.
Batch is irrelevant really as two chips from the same batch can have very different OC/voltage profiles.

yeah just increase multi till it fails to boot, add more voltage go again until you reach 50. Once you are booting 50x you will need a little more juice to get stability.

Optionally try 1.5v and 50x and work the voltage down till you lose stability.

4.8ghz should be attainable for daily use with reasonable voltage. I fly on FSX as well, running 4.8ghz daily - no problem with fps intensive addons such as the PMDG NGX and any FSDT, Flytampa or Aerosoft sceneries.

:welcome:

Don't fry that chip of yours - 5GHz might not be attainable, and I doubt your cooler (despite being a pretty good one) is up to the task. :)

I wouldn't start at 1.5v. Start lower and work your way up, keeping an eye on the CPU temperature.

Most air coolers aren't going to be able to do 1.5volts with LinX or IBT at reasonable temps. You really don't want to see temps above 75c, but 80c is my personal max with those 2 programs and high vcore.

If you are just binning the chip though, go ahead and run 1.55 or 1.6 vcore and see what your max multi is. For stability wise though, you will need a decent amount of voltage for a 5ghz chip. Some chips can't even do it.

Another thing you can look into is BCLK clocks. A lot of the noobs around here don't run it because they know nothing about it, but its great for benching and can help you squeeze another 1,000 mhz or more outta a chip easily.

Ive got 4.8ghz at 1.4v with approx 29c idle, 57c max with fsx running and 68c on intel burn test.

Im getting 65 for Gflops, What can I be doing wrong?

Last edited:
Did you run CPU-Z (or similar) while running IBT, keep an eye on the multiplier to make sure your cpu is not being throttled down.

Braheem24 - your gflops are essentially cut in half because you don't have the AVX linx library. Download the new version of LinX or IBT and or update your windows. Your gflops will nearly double, they should be around 130gflops for a 4.8ghz clock. Btw 4.8 at 1.4volts is impressive. I need 1.39volts for 4.5 and 1.45 volts for 4.7 lol.

Im noticing the speed varying between 3600 and 4800 when i run intel burn test, but if i run a windows wei test the cpu is at 4800 most of the time. Ive upgraded to a noctua nh-d14 which dropped the temps over 10 degrees. My web browsing temp is now in the 30's across the board so i decided to up the voltage ans even at 1.45v and a 45 multiplier im getting throtteling on the burn test.

Any suggestions?

Did you run CPU-Z (or similar) while running IBT, keep an eye on the multiplier to make sure your cpu is not being throttled down.

Thank you, I did as you said and you were correct (read 1 post up)

Braheem24 - your gflops are essentially cut in half because you don't have the AVX linx library. Download the new version of LinX or IBT and or update your windows. Your gflops will nearly double, they should be around 130gflops for a 4.8ghz clock. Btw 4.8 at 1.4volts is impressive. I need 1.39volts for 4.5 and 1.45 volts for 4.7 lol.

Thanks again, SP1 fixed the gflops.

Back