• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manual core allocation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fgf80

This is what the title sounds like: How does one go about manually allocating cores for different processes?

Please and thank you.

In task manager, right click the process and select "Process Affinity". You can select which cores it uses.

Is this suitable for using multiple antiviruses (i.e., would it even help)? I use COMODO because it has the best firewall I've ever seen in a free AV, and avast! because it has the best live protection ever seen by myself or any other computer geek I know.

It would help contain them to one core, if you wish to set it that way, yes.

If you were gaming, I would either disable the security until you are done or assign them all the same core so it won't have a negative effect on the gameplay.

It always says access denied when I try to reallocate cores like that.

Any ideas?

Those processes are locked or have higher priority than you. Why do you want to change them?

I want to change them because one time, a computer tech at the school my mom works at told me that my antiviruses won't bicker with each other if I keep them on separate cores.

Eh, I don't understand why that would be true at all. There might be a single instance with a certain anti-virus application where that might occur but I certainly wouldn't say that is common across the board. It really just depends on the anti-virus solution I suppose.

First of all, I would highly recommend not running multiple anti-virus solutions at the same time. It's just a bad idea. If you really want to, I would most definitely ensure that you are not running any duplicate features. I would triple check the settings of both applications to make sure that you aren't performing the same function in two different apps.

I only have COMODO for the firewall. everything else is disabled.

Assigning antivirus programs to different logical cores won't make them interact with each other any differently, by design. The tech doesn't know what he's talking about. The only effect it will have is on how the hardware resources are used.

Eh, I don't understand why that would be true at all.
I'm with you on this as well. If you have two programs that are interfering with each other, setting the core affinity isn't going to change anything.

Assigning antivirus programs to different logical cores won't make them interact with each other any differently, by design. The tech doesn't know what he's talking about. The only effect it will have is on how the hardware resources are used.
And I was beaten to it. :(

Back