• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB Overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vandarth

Hi, I've installed my new system:

1 CoolerMaster V6GT CPU Cooler $64.00
1 Intel Core i5 2500K $229.00
1 ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB $429.00
1 Corsair TX-750 V2 Power Supply $145.00
1 ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard $135.00
1 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

I've OCed my CPU to auto Turbo50 (4.8GHz) and also what should i overclock my GPU to? (iknow how) its on 940MHz GPU clock, 1420MHz memory clock atm

Thanks! max.

:welcome:to OCF

What are you using your system for? Gaming, benching
Is that 940 Mhz with stock volts?
Using MSI afterburner and applying some extra voltage on the GPU you should easily get 1000Mhz

I'm usiung my system for gaming, also im not sure about the voltage, how do i check/change it? also whats a safe and good core and memory clock and voltage i should use?
also whats MSI afterburner?

Thanks again!

Nice to see someone made this topic already.

I'm currently using the ASUS HD 6970 DirectCU II which is Factory OC to 890MHz. I wish to further overclock this card for gaming.

Right now at It's Core settings it runs Battlefield 3 extremely well, never going below 43FPS at Ultra settings, 1080p, No AA, AFx16, etc..

When using ASUS GPU Tweak I have it set to -
GPU Clock: 980MHz.
1.2v
Memory Clock: 5500 / Did not change this.

With those set I gain about 3 - 5 frames in areas where I'd drop to about 40 frames. It does help, but I'm wondering if I can squeeze in some more. I know very little when it comes to this stuff (Our old computer decided it was going to catch on fire. Well, actually the Graphics Card sparked)

Been away from all this since 2008 and got the chance to build my own.

Aside from that sobbing story... Back to my main question! Just how far can this ASUS 6970 go while being safe?

I know this year Metro: Last Light is promised to be better optimized while further testing your hardware. I want to be ready for this challenge without having to get anything better until late this year.

I read somewhere people were able to get this card to a max of 1074 while being completely stable. That I'm not so sure I can believe... I'd rather this not catch on fire. $1200 is a lot.

I did go up to 1000MHz but it did nothing, and I think it dropped in frames, actually.

Last edited:
Back