• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't see post screen or BIOS setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curver

Registered
Just flashed updated BIOS to my new Gigabyte z68xp-ud4. I think the flash went well, as I can boot into windows just fine.
However, no signal gets to the monitor before windows boots, so I can not see the BIOS setup.
I have tried connecting the monitor to the mobo via hdmi, the monitor to the gpu via hdmi, and the monitor to the gpu via dvi.
Nothing will allow me to see the post screen or BIOS setup.
I can probably access the BIOS with gigabytes touch bios program, but if possible I'd much rather access it the old-fashioned way.

Have you pressed the delete key continually after you press the power button? That will probably put you in bios once the monitor picks up the signal.

I've seen this vary by monitor. I have an LCD that tries to autodetect when the PC turns on, but it usually does so so slowly that I'm at the windows loading screen before I see a thing. I just press delete as it boots and I don't usually see post, but it drops me into BIOS as it should.

My problem isn't that the monitor can't display the screen in time, it's that it won't display anything until windows is loaded.
I.E. if I press delete to get into the BIOS, the monitor stays blank indefinitely.

I hope you can understand the difference. I'm not really sure if I'm wording it correctly.

Yup that makes perfect sense, I just didn't understand that was the nature of the problem until you said it again. :) Thanks.

You may need to change the setting for primary display adapter in BIOS before it displays the post and BIOS screen correctly? Have you tried resetting to failsafe defaults?

Got it working. Changed the initial graphics display to PCIe x16 from PCIe in the touch bios and next boot everything was perfect.

Thanks for your help I.M.O.G.

Back