AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Motherboard Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 08:45 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Motherboard Review

Quote:
Today we're back with another high end motherboard featuring AMD's 990FX / SB950 chipset: the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7. The last 990FX board we looked at was the ASUS Crosshair V Formula, which was quite impressive; does the UD7 have what it takes to compete? Let's find out!
... Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 11-08-11, 09:07 AM   #2
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

I just wanted to put a note in the first comment that Gigabyte does not yet know when Revision 1.1 will be available in the US. If they let us know that information, we'll definitely edit the review, but as of right now only Revision 1.0 is available.

EDIT - Inserting clarification as to why this board did not receive an award:

Basically, it is my opinion that this board was not good enough to be "Approved", but that it also was not bad enough to be "meh."

It doesn't deserve a "meh." because on its own merits, the board is solid and does what it purports to do pretty well. There are issues, but like I said in the review, nobody's going to blame you if you choose this board.

It also doesn't deserve an "Approved" because it isn't priced right for the simple reason it doesn't live up to its competition. When the review was written, the UD7 was a mere $5 less than the Crosshair V Formula. IMHO, the Cross V is the superior board.
  • Its power section holds voltage even under LinX, which the UD7 does not.
  • It does not have some weird clock throttling problem, which hopefully will be addressed in a BIOS from Gigabyte but has not to date. They are aware of the problem and rather than hold the review they said go ahead and publish it.
  • Gigabyte's Easytune 6 doesn't even get close to ASUS' AISuite.
  • For those that use extreme cooling, CloudOC requires tinkering with a firewall to get to the computer in the first place. Those that do bench under extreme conditions often don't install network drivers, which isn't possible when you have to use the Cloud to OC.

It's not a long list and somewhat nit-picking, but it all adds up to a board that is decent on its own, but not as good as its competition at the same price point.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-08-11 at 03:05 PM.
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 09:43 AM   #3
PolRoger

Nice review.

The new revision sure seems the way to go! I wonder if Gigabyte is planning on offering a new updated revision for the UD5? If so the lower price point of that board with corrected vdroop options would offer another choice for those considering AMD.

hokiealumnus (11-08-11)
Old 11-08-11, 01:17 PM   #4
Wufei

I have this mobo with BIOS version F6. I have overclocked my Phenom II 945 from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz and ran Prime95 blend test for 14 hours with no problems. The vdroop issue doesn't appear to affect my overclock stability at all. It may for more extreme overclocks, but mine has been very stable thus far.
Wufei is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 01:24 PM   #5
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufei View Post
I have this mobo with BIOS version F6. I have overclocked my Phenom II 945 from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz and ran Prime95 blend test for 14 hours with no problems. The vdroop issue doesn't appear to affect my overclock stability at all. It may for more extreme overclocks, but mine has been very stable thus far.
The 945 should be fine as a quad core. It's hex- and octo- core CPUs that really pull it down. I've seen several people report being fine with quads.

Even with six and eight core CPUs, it's not that Vdroop affects stability; you can always add more voltage so that the loaded voltage is what you need it to be. My issue is that the massive Vdroop forces you to run much higher voltages than you should need for 24/7 use at idle. With LLC, that's a non-issue and you can set it such that you can run the same idle voltage as loaded voltage.

Then, yes, for extreme overclocking that Vdroop is a big problem. When you're running 1.8V for benching, you don't want to have to run 1.9V+ just to get 1.8V loaded, you want what you set to be what you get, idle and loaded.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 01:41 PM   #6
Wufei

Okay so no worries for me then. Great review by the way... I've had this board for about a month now and have been very happy with it. Looks awesome inside my NZXT Phantom.
Wufei is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (11-08-11)
Old 11-08-11, 01:52 PM   #7
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Great review as usual hokie. Very informative about how this board reacts with certain CPU's and the vdroop.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (11-08-11)
Old 11-08-11, 03:04 PM   #8
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

It was mentioned I might want to clarify the reason this board received no award, which is a very valid concern. It should have been done in the review, but we have comments that appear on the front page, so it's not that bad. I'll edit this into the first comment too.

Basically, it is my opinion that this board was not good enough to be "Approved", but that it also was not bad enough to be "meh."

It doesn't deserve a "meh." because on its own merits, the board is solid and does what it purports to do pretty well. There are issues, but like I said in the review, nobody's going to blame you if you choose this board.

It also doesn't deserve an "Approved" because it isn't priced right for the simple reason it doesn't live up to its competition. When the review was written, the UD7 was a mere $5 less than the Crosshair V Formula. IMHO, the Cross V is the superior board.
  • Its power section holds voltage even under LinX, which the UD7 does not.
  • It does not have some weird clock throttling problem, which hopefully will be addressed in a BIOS from Gigabyte but has not to date. They are aware of the problem and rather than hold the review they said go ahead and publish it.
  • Gigabyte's Easytune 6 doesn't even get close to ASUS' AISuite.
  • For those that use extreme cooling, CloudOC requires tinkering with a firewall to get to the computer in the first place. Those that do bench under extreme conditions often don't install network drivers, which isn't possible when you have to use the Cloud to OC.

It's not a long list and somewhat nit-picking, but it all adds up to a board that is decent on its own, but not as good as its competition at the same price point.

Old 11-08-11, 03:33 PM   #9
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Mehprroved?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 03:47 PM   #10
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8

So no green stamp of approval?

Superb review as usual Jeremy

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 03:47 PM   #11
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
Mehprroved?
I can agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
So no green stamp of approval?

Superb review as usual Jeremy
Nope, not this time (see post #8).

Thanks!

Old 11-08-11, 04:40 PM   #12
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8

I trust your findings will go back to Gigabyte to help them make it right with the next revision

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 04:43 PM   #13
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Yep, they already know about the LinX Vdroop and clock throttling. I didn't specifically tell them about Easytune 6, but presumably they know that was a hack job compared to their Intel boards.

Old 11-08-11, 06:33 PM   #14
Robert17

Thank you, a very good reviw.

NZXT Phantom Black||fans 1x140, 5x120, 1x200||Asus VN247H-P||Win7 Pro 64-bit
Folding User Stats

In memory of Adak
Robert17 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-26-11, 11:31 PM   #15
tw33k
Registered

I own this board and am quite disappointed in Gigabyte. No LLC options, no UEFI and no XMP RAM profiles. Other boards have these features so why not this borad? It shouldn't take a new revision to fix these issues either, BIOS updates are needed. I have emailed Gigabyte about all this and hope I get a positive response. I'm seriously considering an ASRock or ASUS board

Intel 3770K @ 4.6GHz | ASUS Maximus V Formula | 8gb (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix | Crucial M4 128GB | 1TB F3 | 2TB WD Black | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Corsair AX750 Gold | 27" Acer B273HU | Corsair 800DW | Corsair H100 | Microsoft Wireless 5000 | Windows 8 Pro x64
tw33k is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-27-11, 08:51 AM   #16
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Unfortunately it's apparently not something that can be addressed with a BIOS update. Otherwise, when I asked for one they'd have sent something other than a diagram for a hard mod. Your response will probably be something along the lines of 'Gigabyte has designed the Vdroop on this board per AMD's specifications.'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards