• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayza92

Registered
Okay, lets be honest. Everybody nowadays seems to be running around with i5-2500k's or maybe even the i7-2600k. I currently have a laptop that I play my games on because a desktop is too bulky for a typical dorm room in college. My computer at home has a q6600, 9800gtx, 4gb ddr3 ram, xfx 790i ultra mobo, Rocketfish 700 watt psu, and some ****ty hdd. Should I upgrade to a i5-2500k, a new graphics card (gtx 560ti-gtx 580), fork out more money on a new psu and mobo, or should I keep my q6600, mobo, ram, and upgrade my gfx and psu to a gtx 570 sli and a psu supporting that? I have watercooling on my cpu so I can overclock it pretty well.

I apologize for not including that... I would just use this desktop for strictly gaming... and maybe video making in the future.

I apologize for not including that... I would just use this desktop for strictly gaming... and maybe video making in the future.

Just for gaming you will be fine with the video card upgrade but for the video part an i5 or 7 based on the 1155 z68 with video out is the way to go.

Make sure you get a board that claims to have IB support as well.

+1 The GPU is much more important than the CPU I would upgrade the video card and PSU. With a good overclock a Q6600 should game on par with a 2500, maybe a few less frames but if you are over 40 the who cares? Also the resolution you game at plays a big part in what will hold you back.

I play at 1920x1080 resolution. I want to play on the highest settings I can. I have an XFX 790i Ultra motherboard right now

+1 The GPU is much more important than the CPU I would upgrade the video card and PSU. With a good overclock a Q6600 should game on par with a 2500, maybe a few less frames but if you are over 40 the who cares? Also the resolution you game at plays a big part in what will hold you back.

While true for gaming the impact of the SB igp can not be discounted where video conversions are concerned.

The question needs to be asked: What budget and how much video work using what software.

True but OP said maybe video making in the future IMO it would make sense to wait until the video making becomes a reality, there will prob be something out better than what is out now for the same cost. Just my $0.02 of course. The Q6600 may be sufficient for videos too, how much faster will a 2500 be? 30 seconds?

Lets just scratch the video making and just say that im gaming.. thats it.

Lets just scratch the video making and just say that im gaming.. thats it.

Video card & PSU alone (first) and see how happy you are with that. If you find you arte pegging your CPU then consider an entire rebuild.

EDIT: That PSU could be good or bad but I personally would not trust it.

Video card alone (first) and see how happy you are with that. If you find you arte pegging your CPU then consider an entire rebuild.

Sounds like a plan to me. Should I fork out the cash for sli or get a single card?

Sounds like a plan to me. Should I fork out the cash for sli or get a single card?

I would go single card and see how that plays out first. If you have CPU overhead AVA then another card may be benefical but if you are pegging your CPU then there is no need.

Back