• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When to Buy Core i5 or Core i7 (Socket 1156) Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

I currently have a Gigabyte-branded Socket 1156 motherboard with a with an Intel Clarkdale Core i3 processor.

I am planning on upgrading my system's processor to either an Intel Clarkdale Core i5 processor or an Intel Lynnfield Core i5 or Intel Lynnfield Core i7 processor.

Price is a major consideration. When would be a good time to purchase the new processor?

Please provide supporting information for the answer.

If you can get a resonable price on a good 1156 quad like a i7-870, then it is worth it. However you are better off just waiting and buying a new mobo/cpu when prices lower(black friday maybe?)

However if you want to upgrade just the cpu the i5-760 i7-870 are great choices, but they are really overpriced now since they are "rare" that goes for most 1156 stuff really(i5-660 $215 on newegg:-/).

How much are you looking to spend?

Last edited:
However if you want to upgrade just the cpu the i5-760 i7-870...they are really overpriced now since they are "rare" that goes for most 1156 stuff really
It would be unfortunate if I have already missed the price low point.

How much are you looking to spend?
As little as possible, of course. However, I think up to $150 may be reasonable.

Last edited:
Today at the local Micro Center store, I picked up an Intel Core i-870 Processor for $252.41.

Now I should figure out were to sell my Intel Core i3-530.

If you want new buy now. Intel is stopping peoduction on 25 processors to make way for IB.

Back