• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Bent some 1155 socket pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

I was cleaning some TIM off of the socket latch on my board with a coffee filter and I didn't have the cover on the CPU socket (I know I'm dumb) and I bent some pins just a few like barely. I had no idea how fragile they were as this is my first Intel board. I was really worried and put my wc block back on and everything booted up and everything was fine. Then I broke it to 5.0ghz as I had it and everything seems fine. This really sucks, I'm worried about the integrity of the socket and how things will pan out in the future.

Any input?

Depends on how bent they are. They're fragile, but they're also designed to be pretty flexible so a bit of bending won't hurt them. The CPU bends them down a bit to make contact anyway.

If everything's working then I don't think you need to be worried. In the future if you have some reason to pull the CPU out, double-check the pins and adjust very gently with tweezers if necessary.

Just use common sense - it's only a few copper pins. As long as they're properly aligned and nothing breaks off you're fine.

If everything's working then I don't think you need to be worried. In the future if you have some reason to pull the CPU out, double-check the pins and adjust very gently with tweezers if necessary.

My thoughts exactly.
If it works it clearly isn't dead, so you're all good.

Depends on how bent they are. They're fragile, but they're also designed to be pretty flexible so a bit of bending won't hurt them. The CPU bends them down a bit to make contact anyway.

Just use common sense - it's only a few copper pins. As long as they're properly aligned and nothing breaks off you're fine.

My thoughts exactly.
If it works it clearly isn't dead, so you're all good.

Beautiful, thanks guys just wanted to double check

Be sure to stick a post-it note somewhere inside to remind you of the bent pins when you do take the rig apart.

Bent some 1155 socket pins..

No bueno, I ended up bending two pins on my 1155 socket. I put the CPU back in the socket and everything booted fine and I brought her back up to 5.0 @ 1.44v the same vcore I was using before. I did notice a slight increase in temperature which suprised me because I switched from arctice silver mx-2 to PK-1. I even reapplied the TIM to make sure. Temps hit 73C on 50 IBT runs.

here is a picture of the section where the two pins are bent.

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than appreciated as always :thup:

Attachments

• 605px-Intel_Socket_1155.jpeg
    605px-Intel_Socket_1155.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 13,698
If everything is up and running fine what is the question? I would simply leave it as is and not mess with it. The more you remove the cpu the better chance you have of ruining it. Leave it in there and leave it be. Your temps increasing slightly more then likely have nothing to do with the bent pins. Any time you remount or reapply paste you are going to notice a difference in temps. No 2 mount jobs/paste jobs are exactly the same 100%.

If it works, leave it be and be happy with it. Check for stability and enjoy.

If everything is up and running fine what is the question? I would simply leave it as is and not mess with it. The more you remove the cpu the better chance you have of ruining it. Leave it in there and leave it be. Your temps increasing slightly more then likely have nothing to do with the bent pins. Any time you remount or reapply paste you are going to notice a difference in temps. No 2 mount jobs/paste jobs are exactly the same 100%.

If it works, leave it be and be happy with it. Check for stability and enjoy.

It just has me concerned as I dropped 350 on this mobo. I'm also curious now about what pins are responsible for what. I'm also looking for an explanation as to why when going from MX-2 to PK-1 there was a temp increase as I bought the PK-1 in hopes of improving temps slightly, it just doesn't add up but I guess it is what is it huh.

Merged Threads

We try to keep all the information in one place, makes it easier to reference later.
:)

Thanks,
Matt

I'm also curious now about what pins are responsible for what. You can google pin outs for that cpu.

looking for an explanation as to why when going from MX-2 to PK-1 there was a temp increase as I bought the PK-1 in hopes of improving temps slightly. Did not work out that way. MX-2 was fairly good stuff to begin with.

You can google pin outs for that cpu.

Did not work out that way. MX-2 was fairly good stuff to begin with.

I wasn't even aware thats what they were called but thank you I will give that a try. And yea, I guess it didn't work out that way after all lol

Thats Exactly what will happen to me last night! i bend my lga 1155 pins and i manage to fix it by the aid of a simple toothpick! i was afraid at first but i surprised that my brand new i7 3770k just working fine.

Back