• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping finding a gaming laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey there Newgamer, Welcome to the forums! :)

As far as gaming laptops go, there isn't much of a selection, especially in your price range. I would look for the model with the 1920 x 1080 led backlit screen. 3D is overated. I have a G73Jh (older model with an AMD card) and I love it. I know here in the forums there are other G73 users, but I am not sure if there are any G53 guys/gals.

Yeah the G53 is great, and try to find one used, checkout:
forum.notebookreview.com/notebooks-desktops-sale/
For great deals on G53 and G73/74 laptops. You can get em for well under a grand and use the cash saved for a nice SSD (they have 2 bays so you can run a 120/128GB SSD and a mechnaical for more storage.

I'd keep an eye to see if they are using this lame hybrid/Optimus technology. Meaning it has integrated and nvidia dedicated graphics. You'll find there is NO way to disable the integrated and some of your games will not use the dedicated card. Zero help on the internet from ASUS or NVIDIA on the issue. And no, it will not likely not show that in the product's description if you look it up online. At least with Newegg.

My ASUS N73S has this crap.

Last edited:
I got a G73SW and i love it. 8 slots for ram. dual bays for 2 hdd's. Runs pretty cool for a laptop with these specs. Bottom on mine barley gets warm gameing with it sitting on my lap or my bed. GPU i have yet to see go over 70c and i got my GTX460M overclocked to 840mhz core 1600 mem. Batt. life aint to bad either. I like the keyboard to. I dident like my pold laptops keyboard because but this one fits me pretty good and im liking the chicklet style.

I say go with the 17 inch. I got mine and love it. perfect size for me. I upgraded from a Toshiba X505-875 and its much faster and runs way cooler.

This was my first Asus laptop and i love it. Never had any issues with it.

the G53SX does have a 'watered-down' version of the 560m. I would personally be wary of those models because of this. Additionally, the Best Buy G7X Series w/ nvidia cards in general all have a 'watered-down' version of the 560m or 460m (less memory interface, and some other issues). TBH, the best deal on the Best Buy model Asus G7X Laptops is the G73JH-RBBX05 or the G73JH-BST7, as the ATI card (5870m) is the real deal, and not watered down.

I'd keep an eye to see if they are using this lame hybrid/Optimus technology. Meaning it has integrated and nvidia dedicated graphics. You'll find there is NO way to disable the integrated and some of your games will not use the dedicated card. Zero help on the internet from ASUS or NVIDIA on the issue. And no, it will not likely not show that in the product's description if you look it up online. At least with Newegg.

I have an Alienware M14x with Optimus (Intel and nVidia 555GT). I have NO issues forcing the nVidia 555GT on for ANY games. Some games you need to 'whitelist' the game's .exe file in the nVidia control panel, but thats the price to pay for a powerful computer to get 5+ hrs of battery life...

TBH Optimus is amazing, powerful, and works wonderfully. If you are having issues with Optimus, I would recommend looking up one of the many 'white-listing' guides on google.

Also found they're a pain in the ... bum ... to reload. I don't use factory installs and the ASUS drivers are terrible at loading the nVidia card up.

Back