• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer reboots when gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soons

Hi there.
I was really hoping that some of you guys could help me out, since i've run into a really frustrating problem. My computer has begun to restart when playing heavy games. Especially skyrim is a problem, it will reboot after less than 3 mins in game.
So what do you think the problem may be?
My setup is as follows:
CPU/PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 5-5-5-18
Graphics: ASUS ATI RADEON HD 4890
PSU: 550W

Is the power supply not big enough? Or what could be causing this?

I've tried unchecking the thing that makes it automatically restart upon system failure, but it makes no difference, it restarts anyway.

Hope you guys can help me out.:thup:

Not likely a power issue with that rig, unless the PSU is failing. Download coretemp and see what your temps get to when you are gaming. It has logging capabilities so you can set it to log while you game:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=2

Or you could just run coretemp and a stress utility like prime95 to see what your temps do. Is your case getting airflow - the intake or exhaust isn't blocked? Have you checked the dust situation? Heatsinks can get clogged with pet hair, dust, and the like.

:welcome: to the forums. :)

I just checked the temps. Cpu only got up to 55°C before rebooting, so i guess thats not the problem.
Any further ideas on what to do? :)

Are you overclocked? Try running stock clocks and see if the issue happens. Also use a program like cpuid hardware monitor to check voltage levels on the 12volt rails etc.

Op just states a 550 watt psu, what psu is it? as this still could be the issue

possibly, but usually for a reboot under the conditions he is describing, there is an overheat condition causing a protection-shutdown. Possibly his chipset or GPU overheating.

im thinking it is a chip set or even a voltage issue to the chipset or gpu. since its not heat

It's a linkworld PSU.

I've been searching around the web, and it seems there are a lot of reasons or this issue. So far i've heard people saying it was both drivers, heat, psu, the case...

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Because i just got the computer (second hand) last week, and it had the problem even back then, when it had windows xp on it. Now i've formatted it and installed windows 7, and still the same problem. So i guess it's got to be a hardware problem of some sort.

And a minor detail, it only happens when the computer is under serious pressure. It crashes everytime within 1 minute o playing skyrim, black ops i could play for 5-10 minutes, counter strike and WoW i experience no issues with, as long as i keep the settings on good in wow.

Last edited:
Rebooting when gaming can be caused by anything, what the cause is can only be determined by looking at the specific situation.

1. Temps
2. Voltages
3. Drivers (unlikely, unless it only crashes in the game and doesn't crash when you stress test with other apps)

So your best bet is eliminate variables. You have mostly eliminated temps, next one to look at is voltages. Post #4 had good advice to see what voltage readings you are getting - run the hardware monitor to see voltages, then run something like prime95 to stress the CPU, and see if the voltages go funny or if the temperature spikes.

Just ran the test, CPU got to 71 degrees, but yet it didn't shut down so i guess still this is not the problem.
+12v thing has been between 10.94 V and 11.65 V.

It did not reboot when i did the stresstest.

Did this give you any clues to go on?

Last edited:
it could be PCi-e voltage, gpu voltage. Friends computer would crash qithin 5min in BF3, I went in upped his GPU voltages and he's now fine, but it could be the cheep PSU

How hot is the GPU getting under load? Have you tried increasing the GPU fan speed manually to 100% to see if that solves the issue?

If the psu you're using is this one , then I would have to put my vote on that psu being the culprit. I would bet that 4890 is sucking that power supply dry.

Actually i think it's this one . It has the exact same color and model name as mine, so it's gotta be it.
Although mine says 550w on the side of it, and that one should be only 500w. Minor detail, i'm pretty sure it's that one. Should i get another, do you think?

download "heaven benchmark" and run the extreme test. see if it reboot rather quickly, while watching the temps from it.
I still say that psu would be my first thought of the issue. I could be wrong though.

We all agree that PSU is garbage. I would change that out before you do anything else personally. Whether or not it's the issue right this second doesn't matter, you WILL run into issues with that PSU. Change it.

Back