• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In light of bigadv changes, new best ppd/$ recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrfrankmrfrank

It seems that for some time now the best bang for the buck has been to get a 2600k or i7 equivalent and fold -bigadv for the best ppd / $ ratio. Spend $500 or so on a bare minimum 2600k rig, overclock, and fold 50k ppd. Now given the new requirements of -bigadv, I was curious what this forum's thoughts were on your future planned purchases. Given the cost and power requirements of the higher end nvidia gpu's and their ppd output to cost, I assume that a 2600k/ 2700k is still a solid investment.

What will you be buying for future dedicated folding rigs now that bigadv has changed?

Also, what would you guys recommend as a good starting point for a "bare bones bigadv rig?"

2600k's are still great processors and that is what I will be moving up to in december. I game a lot hardcore and just started folding on the side. I am pretty excited for IB considering the prices of SB E.

My thoughts are that the $600 SB-E should yield 1.46X the performance of the 2600K. Given my current 2600k speed of 4.4Ghz, an equivalently clocked SB-E would yield a bigadv return of 74,500 PPD. Hmm, 55% increase in performance for double the price. So I'm guessing three 2600k's equal two SB-E's more or less. Given the cost of the third motherboard, memory, and power. I would say the SB-E is a better investment. But the cost of admission is daunting to many.

My thoughts are that the $600 SB-E should yield 1.46X the performance of the 2600K. Given my current 2600k speed of 4.4Ghz, an equivalently clocked SB-E would yield a bigadv return of 74,500 PPD. Hmm, 55% increase in performance for double the price. So I'm guessing three 2600k's equal two SB-E's more or less. Given the cost of the third motherboard, memory, and power. I would say the SB-E is a better investment. But the cost of admission is daunting to many.

the currently released SB-E processors don't meet the minimum requirements of the new -bigadv though correct? 12 cores out of 16.

If one assumes there is no change to the points structure, I think 2P or 4P Interlagos would be the best bang for the buck and best ppd/KWh.

Interesting, lmao I guess I wont miss to much since I just set up my folder to big-adv like last week :/ Did hit a 41kppd one day!

If one assumes there is no change to the points structure, I think 2P or 4P Interlagos would be the best bang for the buck and best ppd/KWh.

How do i/we make these changes? With v7 f@h.

It seems that for some time now the best bang for the buck has been to get a 2600k or i7 equivalent and fold -bigadv for the best ppd / $ ratio. Spend $500 or so on a bare minimum 2600k rig, overclock, and fold 50k ppd. Now given the new requirements of -bigadv, I was curious what this forum's thoughts were on your future planned purchases. Given the cost and power requirements of the higher end nvidia gpu's and their ppd output to cost, I assume that a 2600k/ 2700k is still a solid investment.

What will you be buying for future dedicated folding rigs now that bigadv has changed?

Also, what would you guys recommend as a good starting point for a "bare bones bigadv rig?"

2600k is still best bang for the buck, especially right around now with folks dumping their 2600k's for SB-E. Prices for used 2600k have dipped. If memory serves me right, during the -bigadv shortage, my 2600k's were still pulling low 30k ppd on regular wu's. As someone pointed earlier in the thread, you can build a good 2600k rig for about $500.

the currently released SB-E processors don't meet the minimum requirements of the new -bigadv though correct? 12 cores out of 16.

Yep, and I just ordered a SB-E rig. A well. I'll have at least two months to fold Big WU's. With the new standard, you'll basically need server rigs to fold -bigadv. Interlagos is starting to look real good right now. And the chips are pretty cheap. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5096/amd-releases-opteron-4200-valencia-and-6200-interlagos-series

$523 for the low-end 16-core chip isn't bad at all.

Hopefully someone releases a board that can overclock these puppies.

Until I see some Interlagos PPD numbers, if I had the cash in hand I would be buying a SB-E at this moment in time. Even with the loss of bigadv, I would bet it will be a sound investment vs. 2600/2700k.

Unless FAH makes changes to QRB for regular SMP, than 2600k is better proposition price/ppd than the SB-E. 2600k non-oced can get about 25k ppd while SB-E is looking at about 35k. You can get two 2600k rigs for the price of a single SB-E rig.

SB-E will only become viable again if there's a price cut on SB-E (not any time soon or ever based upon Intel's record and no high end challenge from AMD) or 8 cores come to SB-E, which it will allow it to do bigadv again.

Too bad Intel made the judgement call that eight cores wasn't worth it. Take a look at the die they just cut 'em right out. I wouldn't mind a lower stock clock to get that extra pair. What are they odds they release an extreme edition with eight in the next nine months???

I don't know about in the next nine months. I believe that as long as Intel doesn't make any changes to the die layout, I'd say pretty good chance. Afterall, they are already making 8-cores processors and THEN have to disable two. It would actually be cheaper for Intel since they won't have to perform an extra step to "make" a six-core processor.

What are they odds they release an extreme edition with eight in the next nine months???

Slim to none..........With NO pressure from AMD, why would they.

I think you will see Intel sit tight until they transfer the high-end to 22nm......Not as in Ivy Bridge (Main stream), but Ivy Bridge-E.

+2

soon 2600K would not be best bang for the buck when SF set new requirement: 16+ cores to fold bigadv.

The 2600K, 2700K and SB-E cpus will still be great bang for the buck for desktop machines. If you're building a farm, server class hardware is going to be a must.

The 2600K, 2700K and SB-E cpus will still be great bang for the buck for desktop machines. If you're building a farm, server class hardware is going to be a must.

After some consideration, you're right ChasR. The BEST bang for the buck will be server hardware, especially since only server hardware will now qualify for -bigadv. Problem with server hardware is that it's pretty dang expensive and the price of entry for a decent rig is about twice that of an SB rig. A real good rig will run you several thousand dollars, which is way out of the range for most people.

If you compare to SB-E, pricing of a cheap AMD 2p rig comes closer to parity. Especially since you can get some decent 8-core AMD server chips for cheap now that 16-core Interlagos is out.

I'll wait until after the new year before I start buying more server hardware for folding rigs. This will allow me to concentrate on family over the holidays, give a better idea how well interlagos rigs fold, and give more time for companies to upgrade to interlagos and dump 8 and 12 core processors onto the market.

Also the new Xeon SB-E's with 8-cores will be out sometime during that time frame (and hopefully SR-3) and we can evaluate how well those fold based upon the new bigadv system.

THere's been no change to the point system so what we see today from the servers is what we can expect in January. From numbers I see now, a 48 Core Magny-Cours rig @ 2.7 makes 390,000 on regular -bigadv, much more than that on 12 core BA. I found another performance post on a 4P 6176se (M-C) @ 2.3 GHz, 509,764 ppd. So that's 10x and 15x the ppd a 2600K will make without BA. Interlagos ppd should be even better.

Last edited:
Back