• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 BitFenix Spectre LED fans. Switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I'm planning a build that will utilize 3 BitFenix Spectre 120mm LED fans as exhaust fans and I noticed that these fans have a jumper to control the LEDs. Without a special fan controller from BitFenix (Hydra), the jumper can be used to turn the fan's LEDs on and off by connecting or disconnecting the jumper. Each fan also comes with a tailed wire that allows you to connect them to the Hydra to control brightness in addition to turning the LEDs on and off. They plug in to where the jumper would and look similar to the motherboard power switch connector with a positive and negative at the end of the wire (and the words "FAN LED" written on the connector).

Not having a Hydra nor wishing to purchase one, I was wondering if it would be possible to splice the fans' LED leads (positive to positive, negative to negative) and connect them to a latching bulgin style switch to be able to turn them on and off? I don't wish to control brightness, just the ability to turn off the LEDs when I want to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can't find a good picture of the jumper, but if they connect directly to the LEDs themselves, it should be easy to get working like you want.

From what I can tell, the LEDs are wired in parallel with the fan, with all of the LEDs being in a single series circuit. Removing the jumper has no impact on the fan, just the LEDs.

The jumper looks like what a 2 pin fan header would look like; it's simply two male fan pins linked together with a short wire. Here's a page that has a pic of the jumper near the end:
http://traficantesdehardware.com/Re...ix-Spectre-Led-y-BitFenix-Alchemy/Page-3.html

BitFenix is saying there's a new solution coming (possibly revamped Hydra?) so I'm reluctant to cut up the wires and experiment as I may need them later. I just hope it's not another PCI slot solution. I'd rather have the control at the front...

Hope this doesn't count as thread necro (considering it's my own), but I'm revisiting this idea now.

Bitfenix came out with a controller that has the option of enabling and disabling the LEDs on their fans (the Hydra Pro), but I'd like to be able to view the RPM of the fans, so this won't work in my situation.

So I got to researching... Seeing as I'm trying to control three different circuits with a single switch, I came across multiple triple pole single throw (TPST) switches scattered about the 'Net. While these will do what I need them to do, they're not really designed to fit well (or look nice) inside a PC case.

Is there any way to make my own TPST switch using an existing Bulgin style vandal switch that I have on hand? I have a bay plate with holes pre-drilled for the switches, and I'd love to be able to switch the three fans' LEDs on and off with a single switch.

Thanks in advance!

Back