• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a method to quickly "bin" LGA775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys...

Another noobish post brought to you courtesy of the Convicted1...

I'm trying to get all learned up for this battle royale this weekend, and I'm curious if there's a quick method to "binning" LGA775 C2D's.

I know it's a simple matter on SB... But I haven't found a guide to doing it with C2D.

I've got 4 E6400's (SL9S9) here... and would like to quickly go through them and figure out which are duds and which are worth pushing the guts out of.

Anybody got some insight?

You can find your max fsb for your chip by cranking the fsb up, and keeping the multi down so you stay in or around stock clocks. Once you get to your lowest multi then I play with it by still upping fsb and ocing my ram. When I do it, I up in increments of 25, and after every bump check that it'll post to Windows. You really will not find your actual MAX fsb until you get it frozen though, but you will have an idea of what to expect. (I believe I got all of that right,(it's what I do anyway) if not someone correct me please) :thup:

If you want to kind of bin the chips, go with what capttripppp said.
The thing is that you wont really find out max fsb until the chip is cold. Lots of them clock completely different than they do on air/ ambient. A terrible air clocker could be awesome on cold, and vice versa.

You can find your max fsb for your chip by cranking the fsb up, and keeping the multi down so you stay in or around stock clocks. Once you get to your lowest multi then I play with it by still upping fsb and ocing my ram. When I do it, I up in increments of 25, and after every bump check that it'll post to Windows. You really will not find your actual MAX fsb until you get it frozen though, but you will have an idea of what to expect. (I believe I got all of that right,(it's what I do anyway) if not someone correct me please) :thup:

If you want to kind of bin the chips, go with what capttripppp said.
The thing is that you wont really find out max fsb until the chip is cold. Lots of them clock completely different than they do on air/ ambient. A terrible air clocker could be awesome on cold, and vice versa.
Absolutely... :thup:

Welcome back cow!

You might also want to look at the default voltages. I'm pretty sure a lower default voltage means it will almost always do better on air/water, but not necessarily cold. I believe you want to look for a chip that has a low default voltage and runs hot? I know it's the high leakage chips you are looking for but I'm not sure if the default voltage helps you find those or not.

They run hot though. I now that.

Generally low VID means better under cold, but not always.
You can bin for air with air, but if you want to bin for Cold you need Cold.

Thanks guys...

Right now I'm just concerned about air... But soon... Verrrryyyy Soon... Sub-Zero.

I plan to get started tonight on this.

Just got my order from FrozenCPU... I've got everything but Keyboard, Mouse, DVD-ROM Drive, Webcam, and the networking equipment to get me live in the garage.

Hopefully that stuff will show up tomorrow.

LOL... I've actually pointed a few guys to that thread.. Although I haven't read anything but the first post.

As for besting those scores... I highly doubt that'll happen... But I'll be doing my best to try! LOL

Alas, seems my plans to work on this tonight have changed... Now I'm stuck trying to fix my sig rig.

Eh well... I'll post some updates when I have some.

Back