• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus GPU Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today we will be looking at the Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus heatsink (try saying that name five times fast!) Arctic, previously known as Arctic Cooling, is a brand name that most computer hardware enthusiasts will recognize for their large selection of products ranging from MX-2 thermal paste and Freezer-series CPU coolers to, of course, Accelero graphics card heatsinks. Their heatsinks have a reputation for providing quiet, high performance cooling at a reasonable price.

Over the past few weeks I have used this cooler on my GTX 580 (1.5 GB) to test its performance and compare it against the... ... Return to article to continue reading.

my first published article, be gentle :)

Oh and a ton of thanks for MattNo5ss for putting in a lot of work to help me out :)

Last edited:
You did a bang up job on this article Don... thanks for writing it and the assist by MattG too!

Great work! I've been thinking about getting this to replace the dying cooler on my not-in-use EVGA GTX 260's. I think you've sold me.

You wouldn't know this is your first time, btw ;)

Nice review.

I would like to add to this and say that the arctic has low clearance problems meaning that if you want to use alternative heatsinks for your vrms and your memory you have problems (the accelero ones are pretty bad). Hence, i would go with the shaman because you can also buy thermalright's vrm heatpipe coolers and probably overclock higher than if you were only using the accelero.

Nice review.

I would like to add to this and say that the arctic has low clearance problems meaning that if you want to use alternative heatsinks for your vrms and your memory you have problems (the accelero ones are pretty bad). Hence, i would go with the shaman because you can also buy thermalright's vrm heatpipe coolers and probably overclock higher than if you were only using the accelero.

I didn't notice any major heat issues with the heatsinks using a thermal probe (put the probe up against to check the temps of the RAM and VRMs and seemed to be at fine temps, but maybe didn't get in there good enough to get a good read).

Only issue with the shaman is finding it. I looked around to try to find a price/online listing for it and didn't find one.

Nice review.

I came across this when I was installing mine, and ended up using Enzotech MOS-C1 mosfet sinks. The Arctic aluminum ones weren't heavy enough for me (although they'll work fine, at least for ATI VRM's - a friend with a 570 was seeing pretty warm VRM temps with them). The C1's are very thin, so you can cut them down to size with wire-snips:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6893852&postcount=19

I checked them with an IR thermometer and they generally stay around 40-50C. HWiNFO reports around the same for VRM temps.

Great review :thup: that cooler is really effective and quiet too.

I was thinking how would a waterblock compare to the Arctic Accelero, I know the waterblock would win but by how much? I have never seen a comparison on review sites before :shrug:.

I think partially because of the number of variables that are involved, the number of pumps, tubing, fitting sizes, radiators, fans, and if there is anything else on a loop (presumably testing without the CPU/etc on the loop of course would be unusual in most circumstances) would make it difficult to nail down if the waterblock or the rest of the pieces of the loop were really giving the performance increase.

Shaman on the Asus GTX 580 DirectCUII

Hello Janus,
Great summary!
From the pics it looks like you installed the Shaman VGA heatsink onto an Asus GTX 580 DirectCUII.
Can you confirm this was your tested setup, and did you face any special difficulty, or have tips for me as I'm about to do this same install.
Were you able to use the stock Shaman package to complete the install, or did you have to get additional heatsinks for the VRM/VRAM or screws to deal with the Asus PCB backplate?
Thank You in advance for the comments.

I actually did the Shaman testing :D

I installed the Shaman on the Asus Matrix, not the Asus DirectCuII. I didn't have any problems using the included mounting hardware and installation went smoothly on the Matrix.

Thanks for the quick reply MattNo5.
I see the Matrix GTX580 uses a similar metal backplate behind the VGA PCB as the DirCUII. Were you able to keep that plate in place?
Also, did you keep the stock VRM/VRAM heatsinks, or did you remove and install the ones that came with the Shaman?
Thx so much for the info!

I was able to leave the backplate installed, and I just kept the VRM heatsink installed on the Matrix. I didn't use any vRAM heatsinks, the Shaman's fan blows directly on the vRAM chips (just like the stock Matrix cooler) so the chips should be fine. Plus, the VRM heatsink covers up part of four of the vRAM chips, which would make it tough to get RAMsinks on those chips.

Back