• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vortaku

my old samsung syncmaster 2220wm seems to have gone out. I plan on playing star wars the old republic when it comes out. im not sure what i should be looking at for a gaming screen. would appreciate any help on what to look for. this will be goign with my newly built rig which ill list below

------------------new rig--------------
case: 800d
mobo:asus maximus 4 extreme z68
cpu:intel 2600k
vid card:msi twin frozr 2 6950
ram:8 gigs of corsair vengeance(soon to be 16 gigs)
psu: corsair pro gold 850
--------------------------------------------

thanks again guys.

ps: my monitor sounds like it is "cycling" off and on. the blue light next to the power button just flashes nonstop.

The key parts that you will need to decide on:

Price
Size
Resolution
Type of panel (TN/IPS/PVA I believe are the main 3, most come down to TN vs IPS now)
Features (inputs, readers, adjustability, etc)

this post by aznkc730 breaks down the features pretty well of monitors
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6254501&postcount=86

Resolution:not real sure about
sype: ips i think
size:22-24
price: not sure. hoping to catch a good deal on black friday or cyber monday. and ofcourse the lower the better tho it doesnt matter much.
features:adjustability is the only real thing, im not worried about usb readers built in or speakers in the monitor. tilt and swivel are alwasy nice tho

Not sure about prices and availability for you guys over in the States, but the cheapest IPS monitor in the UK is the LG 23" 1920x1080 one. Definitely worth checking out.

Back