• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible unstable OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquaman78

Is it possible to have an unstable OC even though P95 can be ran for several hours without crashing/failing? For some reason my system has been crashing, even at idle. What is happening is, my monitors would lose signal and the computer would stop responding.

Do you have it set where you are seeing a BSOD? If you get BSOD then you will have an error code that might help determine what is the issue.

Have you checked Windows Event Viewer? Thereto you might get some clues.

I mean we got to have a description of what the crash is. Whether it BSOD's and reboots on its own. Or if the computer just turns off and you have to manuall restart. There is a huge difference in diagnostics based on what is really going on.

If you can run prime95 for a full 24 hours without it crashing, it's not an unstable overclock. issues with stability happen in about the 18th hour of torture, if there are any that is.

What benny said, if you're also crashing during idle, then it may not be a CPU issue, have you considered the possibility of the RAM being slightly faulty? Run a ram tester like Memtest or windows own, (they're pretty decent either way).

A monitor losing signal is also a negative, it doesnt mean the CPU has "stopped" it usually means another issue is arising, -- Ram and CPU would usually cause lockups or slowdowns then an eventual BSOD, never monitor loss, Are you using onboard or Dedicated GPU? Have you tried updating your drivers?

Back