• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU COOLER Please Help > Urgent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aya90

Hi there i am sorry to bother you pros out there but i am lack of a cpu cooler right now.

8GB corsair vengeance
gtx580
1tb wd black
850w AX CORSAIR

I may overclock CPU around 4GHz and i was told that i need a good cpu cooler or it will fry .

Here is what i think i am going to get , please give suggestions and help.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Coolermaster Hyper N620
Coolermaster V6, V8 or V10

Or

Should i go for H60 or other H series liquid cooling ?

If your going to bother with any of the self contained liquid cooling solutions out there consider the H100, I personally wouldnt use any below that but the H80 IS also a good cooler. IMO anything less that that is useless.

Either of the hyper 212 variants are good for your choice in cpus. I wouldnt bother with any of the V series coolers they are old and outdated.

I'd go for either of the Hyper212s. 4GHz, you could probably manage on the stock cooler. Hyper212 would get you to about 4.5GHz or a bit more depending on your chip.

You can try TR TRUE Spirit too. Here is cheaper (and better) than those CM's.

TRUE Spirit doesn't come with the mounting kit for 1156 though, only for 1366. The TR MUX-120 is the successor to the TRUE Spirit, slightly reworked design, almost identical performance according to the frontpage review: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._w_1200_RPM_Fan_Socket_LGA_1156_HOT_ITEM.html

On the other hand, you can get the TRUE Spirit + this mounting kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...1366_Ultra_120_Series_HR-01_True_Spirit_.html, comes out to be almost the same price as the MUX.

Try Thermalright HR-02 Macho.. Better performance in a cheap price.

Just suggesting.. I'm not an expert when it comes to this.. :)

Last edited:
having switched from the 212+ to the h100, I'd suggest one of the 212's. They're easy to install and have by far the best price/performance ratio. If money is no object, then I'd recommend the h100. I'm still on socket 1156, so I needed a lot more cooling power to handle my overclock, but I'm made to understand SB runs considerably cooler, so the 212 would probably do what you need it to do. and at ~$80 cheaper...

did i hear someone ask for an awesome heatsink?
Thermalright Silver Arrow
or Noctua NH-D14?

they might be a bit pricier than the above suggestions but...if you were thinking about the Corsair H series water cooling, these heatsinks are cheaper than that, but can perform similarly :thup:

did i hear someone ask for an awesome heatsink?
Thermalright Silver Arrow
or Noctua NH-D14?

they might be a bit pricier than the above suggestions but...if you were thinking about the Corsair H series water cooling, these heatsinks are cheaper than that, but can perform similarly :thup:

+1 for this^:cool:

I am thinking to get Hyper 212 EVO or H60-100

The V series looks huge and i was told that the performance and price is not worth it

regarding the self contained water cooling CPU

Do you need to refill it or it will go on forever

As far as I can tell, the "outmoded" V6 is a pretty good cooler. OTOH, so is the Hyper 612. The best cooler is the Silver Arrow. The Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 will be out soon; it has PWM fans so should be comparable to the Silver Arrow at last.

If you're on a budget the 212+ or 212 Evo should be fine with your cpu at 4GHz. If you're thinking of going for 4.7 to 5 GHz, you should be thinking Silver Arrow or NH-D14 SE2011 (not the NH-D14).

Back