• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What you say?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I've got an Epox 8KHA+ running Mandrake 8.1, and I can't get any sound. I suspect that I messed up the motherboard configuration, because when I check HardDrake, it detects the wrong video card and NIC (generic PCI GeF DDR and LiteOn LN100TX instead of Gainward GeF2 MX400 and Netgear FA310TX), decects no sound card (ie no onboard audio), and detects four unknown VIA components. The NIC works fine.
I'm a newbie at this, so please don't tell me that I need to rewrite the kernel or anything.

IdeaMagnate said:

Yup. Any ideas?

At a command line, type lsmod
Anything snd there?

There are modules you can insert into the kernel, but I cant remember which ones...

PenguinFreak said:

At a command line, type lsmod
Anything snd there?

There are modules you can insert into the kernel, but I cant remember which ones...

Indeed there is. Here's the cut and paste of everything starting with snd:

snd-seq-oss 28944 0 (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event 3216 0 [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq 41856 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-seq-device 3984 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq]
snd-pcm-oss 18624 0
snd-pcm-plugin 15792 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-mixer-oss 4800 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-card-via8233 5952 0
snd-pcm 31616 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-card-via8233]
snd-timer 8528 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 25056 0 [snd-card-via8233]
snd-mixer 24544 0 [snd-mixer-oss snd-ac97-codec]
snd 35248 1 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-se
q-device snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-mixer-oss snd-card-via8233 snd-pcm snd-t
imer snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]
soundcore 4208 4 [snd]

:eek:

The modules are there. Try starting xmms and playing an mp3 file. Make sure your speakers are on and plugged in.

Nothing. I can see it playing (the bars move) but I can't hear anything. I know that the speakers are fine, as I can hear a little crackle through them when I unplug them, and I just double checked my manual to make sure that they're plugged in correctly.
What time is it over there? It's 1:20 AM over here.

IdeaMagnate said:
Nothing. I can see it playing (the bars move) but I can't hear anything. I know that the speakers are fine, as I can hear a little crackle through them when I unplug them, and I just double checked my manual to make sure that they're plugged in correctly.
What time is it over there? It's 1:20 AM over here.

9.51AM :D, woke up an hour ago :D

Try logging in as root and see if you can play music

I don't know what it could be. It isn't a low level prob, the modules are there. Try KDE and GNOME, do neither of them work?

Run `alsamixer` and unmute Master and PCM, then crank their volumes.

XWRed1 said:
Run `alsamixer` and unmute Master and PCM, then crank their volumes.

There are some days when I feel absolutely stupid. The volume on the mixer was set to the minimum. It works quite nicely now.

Its pardonable, its not as if the mixer settings were up in your face and obvious or anything.

Back