• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphite Foam heatsinks and waterblocks???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

riprock

Registered
Last edited:
The stuff looks good... They claim it has more surface area than a block of the same size because it's a foam... They also claim that it transfers heat to water better,,, I'm asuming in a radiator type situation, using the foam instead of fins...

They'll even send a small sample for free, might be enough for a northbridge of video sink... Mounting a fan would be interesting...

"Current pricing of PocoFoam is on a Price/Volume curve that runs from about $20 per cubic inch to less than than $10 per cubic inch." With a production size 10"X10"X1.5" your looking at $1500 to $3000... :eek:

MiseryQ said:
The stuff looks good... They claim it has more surface area than a block of the same size because it's a foam... They also claim that it transfers heat to water better,,, I'm asuming in a radiator type situation, using the foam instead of fins...

They'll even send a small sample for free, might be enough for a northbridge of video sink... Mounting a fan would be interesting...

"Current pricing of PocoFoam is on a Price/Volume curve that runs from about $20 per cubic inch to less than than $10 per cubic inch." With a production size 10"X10"X1.5" your looking at $1500 to $3000... :eek:

You shouldn't need anywhere near that much. Even if you wanted to carve out an Alpha 8045 replica you'd only need 4x4x3. Of course that's still $960. But with the higher conductivity you should be able to use a 3x3x2 format and get good results. That would only run $360. Still pricey, but an order of magnitude less than 3000.

The real nich for this stuff is probably in waterblocks. I'm thinking a direct die block with fins of this foam inside so that they make direct contact with the core. For that you'd probably only need one cubic inch. In fact you might be able to do it with the free sample.

nihili

I already signed up I'm gonna order the free sample...

It's foam I'm asuming open cell... It might not be water tight...

MiseryQ said:
I already signed up I'm gonna order the free sample...

It's foam I'm asuming open cell... It might not be water tight...

It's also not stiff from what they say. That's why I think inside a water block is the best bet. Notice that's also the first implementation they show.

nihili

While trying to get back to there request page I found some interesting stuff:

radiators.jpg
raditor2.jpg
hsink.JPG

Last edited:
They say this stuff can be machined and they mention machining samples... I assume it would have to be stiff :confused:... I don't know how "foam" could be stiff, but it is graphite...

It's supposed to repel water too...

I have my request in, I'll post pics if I get it...

Spode tried using some poco foam for a waterblock a while back. Interesting results, but it'd take some more engineering.
The foam is described as being like that florists green foam they arrange flowers in, and water passes through like a seive. Maybe use it more as an insert inside a normal block with good contact against the bottom. Or maybe try his beehive block packed full so the water is forced to pass through the foam. (watch it's melting point if soldering the block shut)

It's a pretty neat project, keep us all informed!:cool:

That's an interesting article...

oops!!! I just noticed i had the sam idea as nihili...
Direct die... forcing the water though the foam...

I like the idea of the foam inside the waterblock but I would thing that it would be a rather large flow restriction if it was really that dense.

Back