• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This build good for folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I want to know if this system I am just about to build is going to be suitable for folding? I stopped doing it recently as my current machine is just getting too slow, I know any machine is suitable for folding, but I want to make sure my Ram and CPU can handle more of it or multiple foldings at once.

CPU: Intel i5 3.3GHz 2500k (Hopefully 4-4.5Ghz with OC)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
GPU: Radeon6850
RAM: 16GB of 1600 (4x4)
Storage: 1x SSD; 3x HDD
Optical: 1-2 DVD players
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Case Fans: 2x
Internal Fans 2-3x

Sure it's suitable.......My only suggestion would be to replace the 2500k with a i7 2600K or i7 2700K.

Folding can make use of the threads.....:)

foldon.gif

I assume that the cpu is more important than the RAM right? RAM is actually pretty useless if the folding software is all that is running right?

I had considered the 2700, but the cost is just too high. The 2500K I think can be O.C.ed to about 4 to 4-5 so, I think it would be fine.

For just folding a 4Gb kit would be plenty..........

As for the cpu, i know the 2500K can clock, but it lacks Hyper-Threading which folding is able to utilize.....Of what cpu's you are considering, the 2600K will give you the most "folding" bang for your buck. :thup:

If it's not within your budget, no problem, 2500K it is. As long as your folding it's all good :p

Well, I have other demanding applications that need more RAM so I am still going to go for the 16Gig, but for the CPU, I will check to see what the cost is here when I go to buy the machine. Right now the 2500k is already over 200, and I think the i7 here is about 100 more, I need to check, but thank you for your advice, I will consider.

Can I run more than one folding at a time, or should I stick to one and then let it finish before starting another in order to utilize the cpu for one thing at a time?

You will want to run only one instance at a time........With QRB (Quick Return Bonus) in place, you are rewarded for quick work unit return. To Stanford speed is more important than volume.

That's what I figured, been many years since I have been doing folding, but hope I can get back into it with a new machine.

I use Boinc (sp?). ohhh.. return is faster than amount? strange, which folding are you doing? I use Bonic which is linked to many different ones.

So Bonic is not used anymore? Or there are better systems? I will read through the thread, thanks!

Well it was a program to handle all the different foldings available and keep track of stats. A very nice program actually,.

Boinc is a 'set it and forget it' type of client. There are many options to choose from depending on what you'd like to do. One can 'crunch' proteins on Boinc too but it is for a different uni. CPU only though AFAIK. Check out the forum here if you wish more info.

Looks to be a good candidate for folding. Personally, I would drop the SSD and put the cash in stepping up to a 2600k. It will make a noticeable difference in gaming and a tremendous difference in folding. Who cares if you have to wait a half-sec more for your titles to load. If your planning on keeping this machine for the long haul--and it seems that you will, get the best cpu you can afford; step up to the 2600k. Thanks for contributing!

Wow you all have diversely different opinions. haha.

The SSD is for faster bootup time, I am using one now, and it works quite well.
The 2600K is quite expensive and I don't really do any gaming other than Simcity, and I will buy Cities XL 2012 so I need a decent GPU. Perhaps the 6850 is a little bit overkill, but the performacne is much better than the 550 which I was originally thinking about buying.

You guys give me a big delimna now, I was all set to buy the above. ahahahha. I need to check the benchmarks on the 2500K and 2600, the only thing that interests me is that the later has threading which some programs can utilize well.. hmmmm

Current prices here:
2500k $228
2600 $308
2600K $336
2700 $366

Last edited:
Theres no harm in building the system with a 2500k. Overclock it, play your games, run SMP folding with your spare cycles. If for some reason your unsatisfied with its performance you can always sell it and for about $100 more pick up a 2600k.

In the meantime keep your eye out I got a deal on a new 2600k for $250USD shipped. Just about the price of a 2500k. With Christmas and new years coming up Im sure your going to be able to catch one. It might be a bit tougher in Taiwan but keep an eye out in the forums, I picked up a used 2600k the other week here.

I've been checking all the computer market websites here but they all have pretty much the same pricing and they are the cheapest in Taiwan, anyone who wants to build a system usually goes there, so I am not too hopeful I am going to find one at that price. However, I may wait to buy this system until mid/late-December, perhaps the price might come down a bit at that time, I don't know.

I have checked in the US also, but the cheapest one I found was 319 on ebay, but that didn't include shipping to me and I would worry if there was a problem with it what I would have to do, so... I need to find it here.

Back