• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperate First Build Help… Fried something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DivZero

Please help!!!
Very Desperate here. Hello everyone, this is my first post and the start of my journey into PC building…. So far NOT SO GOOD! Bought my components, put them together last night, I think I fried something. Being my first build I hooked up the power supply to BOTH the 8 pin EATX AND the 4 pin PWR fan connector. All other wires I believe are connected correctly. On first boot there was an audible “POP” as if something arched and slight burning smell after. System immediately shut off and would not respond. After disconnecting the 4 pin PWR FAN connector evetything seems to power up. All lights are lite, Fans are all spinning…. But “no signal to monitor” Did I fry something? I tried all the “No signal to monitor” fixes I know of (one stick of RAM, disconnect/reconnect both RAM and GPU), reset COMOS, etc). Here are the specs, any help is greatly appreciated… I do not know where to start and do not want to just start buying new components… which ones? Thanks in advance!

CPU: i7-2700k
Modo: Asus Maximus Extreme IV-Z
RAM: 4x4 G.Skill 17000 F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL
GPU: GTX-590
PSU: Thermaltake TP-1500W
HDD: 1T WD SATA III
SSD: RevoDrive 3
Optical: Asus BD drive
Case: 800D

Holy geez you spent some serious dough on your first build. Did you actually get that build recommended here?

I looked at the board and from what you describe all I can think of is you used a molex to 4 pin adapter to connect the psu to the mb's fan header. One thing you just happened to have that kind of an adapter? If so then that is pretty bad luck. It doesn't come with the MB and it doesn't come with the PSU. Should be your first thought is you do not need it.

Board is fried. All I can think it could be. Whenever you hear that sound and you smell it, something is fried. Your sending in power where power is coming out of. Its possible just that fan header fried but don't know really.

What does the debug led say?

What does the debug led say?

This is the red colored numbered lights on your (very high end) motherboard. They give you a code, ie AA means pc is in ACPI mode (good).

Are they giving you any strange code?

It sounds like you connected the FLOPPY power legacy connector to the motherboard. This would have definitely caused an issue.

However, I will admit, I once accidentally put the front panel header for USB2 in the firewire port. Hooked up my camera, the camera let out smoke and died. Board acted flakey for a few days, then like a miracle, its alive. No issues. Sure, the firewire port is dead and I cooked one of the front panel USB cables but all told its still good to go.

If you did 'fry' anything odds are it is only the mobo. Good news is that since this sounds brand new, you can return anything you want.

Who knows, the motherboard could have been that way anyways, right? Don't lose $350 on a motherboard. RMA/direct exchange it.

BTW you got some HIGH END PARTS bro. SERIOUSLY. High five.
Revo 3. Seriously. Rock on. :thup:

We very much want to help you get your top gear machine working right. Those are far too high end parts not to have a good outcome. I have the 2600K and p67 model and 1/2 of your videocard and must say it's quite the setup. Once you get it working it's'a'gonna'be'fasta

Last edited:
On some PSUs, the 4-pin part of the 24-pin ATX connector don't snap together to the 20-pin part.

Make sure, with ATX power connector facing you with the clip at the top, that the left-side 4 pins are in this order:

1: BLACK 2: RED

3: ORANGE 4: YELLOW

Don't think it matters, he plugged the psu into the fan header somehow and blew it. Hard to tell exactly what it is without spare parts to try so starting with replacing the mb is all he can do.

Back