• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops (specifically ASUS) with Hybrid/Optimus video card tech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

Anyone have an ASUS laptop with both integrated Intel and dedicated Nvidia graphics? There is apparently no way to disable the Intel and you roll the dice with your games as to whether they will run the Nvidia card or not. All you can do is tell it in the Nvidia control panel, but I found out this does not work.

Example, Shogun 2 Total War (thankfully a game that tells you your video card in the options) still shows the Intel card. This is despite specifically doing the above.

This is lame as hell.

Anyone have an ASUS laptop with both integrated Intel and dedicated Nvidia graphics? There is apparently no way to disable the Intel and you roll the dice with your games as to whether they will run the Nvidia card or not. All you can do is tell it in the Nvidia control panel, but I found out this does not work.

Example, Shogun 2 Total War (thankfully a game that tells you your video card in the options) still shows the Intel card. This is despite specifically doing the above.

This is lame as hell.

You need to ensure you whitelist the game .exe itself. Some games run fine, others, need to be whitelisted, or they run on Intel. Please see this link. It's geared for MW2 I think, but it should work as long as you find the .exe file itself, some games with launchers (MMOs) may seem like they are working right, but you need to whitelist the .exe itself, not the launcher .exe file.

You need to ensure you whitelist the game .exe itself. Some games run fine, others, need to be whitelisted, or they run on Intel. Please see this link. It's geared for MW2 I think, but it should work as long as you find the .exe file itself, some games with launchers (MMOs) may seem like they are working right, but you need to whitelist the .exe itself, not the launcher .exe file.

Ok...I clearly mentioned that since that is what the Nvidia control panel lets you do. The problem could be with specific games, but you never know which it is usingunless the game tells you or you experience awful versus decnt fps.

Last edited:
Back