• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia 460 Device -> Performance settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Been a while since I last posted. Nice to see you all again. Guys, I have that somewhat beefy GTX460 from Gigabyte I bought a year ago when Crossfiring two HD4850's didn't work that great in SC2 and I was feeling a spending urge.

The GPU clock is 715 instead of the standard 675, there are two fans in some kind of anti-turbulence setting, and it has some fancy stuff like Japanese capacitors, Samsung/Hynix memory chips, ferrite core/metal choke and lower mosfet RDS, most of which I'm mostly ignorant about. Basically, it should be a slightly beefier and more solid sample than the standard stuff.

I've stumbled by accident on an overclocking tab in nVidia's driver settings (finally!) but there doesn't seem to be any "test" button. I know for fact from earlier experiments that my system is capable of passing tests and still rendering artifacts anyway (when overclocked or overheated).

What is the general range I should be able to overclock this card without a serious risk of killing or permanently damaging it? I can afford mild risk, as in I have a spare older card and won't go hungry if I need to fork out for a new one, so I don't need to be obsessively safe but I'd rather not kill it.

The rest of the box is:

C2D e7200 that will generally run at 3.5 GHz if I want it to, although I honestly don't know how safe this is. The cooler is an old GT-1000 from Aerocool, a 750 gram lump of gold-plated copper ribs with two fancy 92mm fans on it (in my impression it isn't really a great performer though);
Asus P5Q-E mobo (that I hate, especially for its proneness to CMOS resets).
A-DATA Vitesta DDR2 RAM at 800 MHz/CL5 standard, though it's supposed to work 800/CL4 per factory, and it can handle much more.

Generally I can crank this stuff up and perhaps even pass some tests but there are still artifacts or crashes from time to time, as I don't know which exactly part of the setup is failing when I crank it all up for a prolonged period of time (and I outright can't afford nor would I care to run extensive tests for long times, especially if I had to bother babysitting them).

My games are Starcraft 2 (running on low/medium for stability and the ability to see things clearly anyway, too high graphics impede the ability to play efficiently in this game), Shogun 2 (could use some more horsepower with this one), Oblivion (only just bought, want the best out of it).

Off the top of your head, what would be good values to play with and what's the limit I probably won't reach or shouldn't touch?

Thanks.

You can probably hit 850 relatively easily on that card, might take around 1.05v or so. I'd leave the memory alone, it doesnt make much difference and can actually slow the card down if you clock it too much.

Back