• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k type thermocouple's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cold.nut

heya folks :D

looking for some thermocouple replacements for my UEI DT200. will these go down cold enough? they say they are rated at -50c - 200c. however i have seen a lot of people using these flexible fiberglass cables.

they appeal to me better than the stiff wire thermocouples. but will they go low enough for LN2? :shrug:

cold.nut

I am not 100% sure but i think that K type thermocouples in general are usually capable of the same temp ranges. Because it partly describes the two metals used in it for calculation. If they used different metals i don;t think they would react correctly for the meters to interpret.

Which should mean is -200c to +1350c capable.
K
Type K (chromel{90 percent nickel and 10 percent chromium}–alumel)(Alumel consisting of 95% nickel, 2% manganese, 2% aluminium and 1% silicon) is the most common general purpose thermocouple with a sensitivity of approximately 41 µV/°C, chromel positive relative to alumel.[7] It is inexpensive, and a wide variety of probes are available in its −200 °C to +1350 °C / -328 °F to +2462 °F range. Type K was specified at a time when metallurgy was less advanced than it is today, and consequently characteristics may vary considerably between samples. One of the constituent metals, nickel, is magnetic; a characteristic of thermocouples made with magnetic material is that they undergo a deviation in output when the material reaches its Curie point; this occurs for type K thermocouples at around 150 °C.

thanked :thup: i am excited to test those fiberglass insulated probes. they seem a lot more practical because of their flexibility!

Back