• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo temp question (dragon +)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyburnt

Registered
According to my bios and ss sanrdra, my cpu temp always appears to be about 15 degrees lower than my board temp (board temp 44-52 cpu temp 31 to 38). I have never seen this before and wonder if they are somehow reversed. I have no special sensors installed and am just going with what's onboard. I have heard that replacing the thermal compound on the northbridge can greatly reduce the board temp (about 10 degrees) Anyone out there have some experience or ideas on this delemma to share? Your responce is greatly appreciated.:mad: :D

you might want to check the northbridge as it might not even have goop on it. I was the one that reported the drop in temp a while ago. I know it doesn't cost much for goop, why can't they add a little, it can only improve the customers' feeling about a company when we know they are doing all they can in those small areas. I was a little disappointed when I saw no goop. Oh well, AS3 filled that void nicely. Also, make sure you have good air circulation throughout your case, makes no sense if you have top of the line HSF but the air in the case is stagnant and hot. Good luck

portorock said:
you might want to check the northbridge as it might not even have goop on it. I was the one that reported the drop in temp a while ago. I know it doesn't cost much for goop, why can't they add a little, it can only improve the customers' feeling about a company when we know they are doing all they can in those small areas. I was a little disappointed when I saw no goop. Oh well, AS3 filled that void nicely. Also, make sure you have good air circulation throughout your case, makes no sense if you have top of the line HSF but the air in the case is stagnant and hot. Good luck

ok stupid question time,
exagtly what and where on the dragon+ is the northbridge?
I have some arctic silver left that I can put on.

Well isn't that something!

You were right about the northbridge. Who'da thunk. Anyway I put some AS3 on there. We'll see what happens. So far its running at 45 board temp and 30 cpu temp. I still can't help but think these numbers are somehow reversed. I have a very good HS and fan setup but 30 to 35 degrees overclocked seems unlikely. I thought I remembered the cpu temp always being higher than the board temp.:eh?:

P.S.

My power/aux temp is all the way up to 56! I wonder if this has something to do with my other readings. I have a 320w power supply that came with my case. Maybe I need to think about upgrading to a higher quality power supply.:burn:

Hey crazyman, the northbridge is just below the cpu. it is the only other thing on the board that has a fan on it. To take off the hsf, you must first remove the board from teh case and squeeze the 2 plastic clips to remove it. Be careful as not to damage any leads from the bottom of the board.

Cyburnt, are you sure that you have MBM setup to read from the correct sensors? You might have set them up wrong and that could be why everything looks funny. As for the high temps, I have the HHC-001 on my 1600+@1700+ and my temps are around 40C while folding. It all depends on the ambient temps of the room. My comp room can get pretty warm even with the door open. Did you check the MBM website for the breakdown of which sensor reads what temps?

Edit:I think something may be screwy with the third sensor anyways, because my temps are "usually" around 30-35C but on the rare occassion jumps all the way up to the 80's. Yup, that's right, the 80's. The alarm for MBM even goes off and asks me what I want to do. Who knows?

power suply temp was a fluke

temps are power: 27-30 cpu: 30-34 mobo 40-48 (48 being HEAVY gaming at high res 32 bit) I am now convinced that my mobo and cpu temps are reversed (how that happened I have no idea). PS- What's MBM? anyway I don't think it will run much cooler. running an unlocked 1500+ at 11x144 lol:burn: Ram is set at 222. She seems pretty stable even if a little hot. BTW my Geforce Ti200 Golden sample 128 is running rock solid at 240/505. I think I'll leave well enough alone.:D

MBM is mother board monitor. it is another prog that is used to get temps from the cpu mobo and chipset. I thought you were using that for some reason. I use it and it gets screwwy sometimes too. As for the temp differences, I noticed the same thing.

Sandra reads the temps backwards on the Soyo Dragon +. It's just a glitch in their software. Mine does the same thing.

Like Portorock said use MBM 5. Works great.

portorock said:
Edit:I think something may be screwy with the third sensor anyways, because my temps are "usually" around 30-35C but on the rare occassion jumps all the way up to the 80's. Yup, that's right, the 80's. The alarm for MBM even goes off and asks me what I want to do. Who knows? [/B]

The third sensor on mine has a tendency to be anywhere between -30 and 100+ degrees celcius. It's kind of annoying, but oh well.

Back