• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buying an 8120/8150, but I have one question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

Can my PSU handle it? I have two 570s in SLI, pretty much the same specs as in my bio.

My question is, if I were to push the 8120/8150 to 5 Ghz @ 1.5v would I be able to sustain that OC with my GPUs also, because I know the power consumption is ridiculous. Currently my 1090t is OC'd to 4.2ghz with voltage at 1.5v

I'm not sure if your PSU will live long under higher load but it should be just right for daily pc/gaming ( not something like F@H on cpu+gpu at the same time :D ). Other thing is that I doubt that you set FX to 5GHz stable / 1.5V but good luck :)

Ok,I see a couple of things that could affect your plans for 5Gb. Your PSU may be close to marginal with the FX CPU and a pair of 570's video cards. The FX's draw a fair amount of current and if your PSU gets weaker it may have a problem keeping everything supplied.
The other thing is Temps, once you pass 1.45v the temps start to rise fairly quickly. The H-100 should handle it but you may have use a push/pull fan system on it.
If you can handle the extra bucks then I'd recommend the 8150, might as well go for the gusto, I'm VERY happy with mine.

From what I've been hearing, if you want 5Ghz out of an 8150 even a double delta push pull H100 won't quite slice it. You'd need a legit fat 360 rad with serious push pull IMO just on the CPU. That's just based on what I've been reading. And a couple of folks I know. And my own experience with my 8120 that I briefly owned and an NHD14 (top air cooler). It had trouble with it. I wasn't willing to spend the cost to go hardcore water cooling on it.
They get hoottt. You need to be prepared. Oldbrave is using a system superior to the H100 significantly for his CPU. And he's not at 5Ghz. Just saying :D
Remember there's a boatload of cache on these things and they 'leak' a lot so that produces lots of heat.

There's potential in that CPU's design long term if you keep it really cool and really fast it's going to make for a heck of a fun system. And I DO envy the 6 on-chipset SATA ports and all the PCIE lanes.

Really happy you're happy with your system Oldbrave!

Have fun computing guys!!!!

Thanks, guys. Yeah I was wondering cuz my 1090t is stable at 4.3ghz with 1.55v and my max temps are around 47c on full load. I do keep my H100 fans on full blast, because the noise actually doesn't bother me at all. As long as I can do the things I want my PC to do, noise isn't a factor.

But I've seen at 4.7-5Ghz that the 8120/8150 is an absolute performance beast, save for single threaded apps.

My only issue is as I said, can I sustain an OC that high with my SLI 570s as the power draw is nuts, but the draw on my 1090t has to be high too, I would think, because I have it at 4.2Ghz w/1.5v

I think you will be fine as long as you are not doing any serious cpu+gpu compute tasks like Woomack said. And you are right, your 1090T overclocked is not exactly a power sipper either. The FX will be higher, but not significantly so. Just guessing based on reviews, but I would guess maybe an extra 50 watts over what you have now. If you have a kill-a-watt, measure your consumption at the wall, and then add 50-75 watts to that. You could guesstimate your max PSU capability as well at somewhere around 1000w at the wall. This review shows 1037w at the wall with 850w load for your PSU. It would give you a pretty good idea if you have a kill-a-watt or want to spend the $15-20 on getting one to confirm it.

A cautionary note: Some bulldozer chips run hotter than others. If you get one of the hot ones (I did), you will probably need to build a water cooling loop for it, like everyone above me says.

Back