• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIE 2.1 card in PCIE 1.0 slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless there's been a voltage change between 1.0 and 2.1, yes. Of course you'd be limited to Pcie 1.0 speeds .

I'm on a phone just now, so I'd recommend looking at the pcie wiki page and x=check that the voltages haven't changed - they did for agp at one point.

As David said, the card will work fine in a PCI-E 16x v1.0 slot.

There's no voltage differences between v1.0/2.0/2.1 that would prevent the card being used.

Then only difference between the two standards. Is that PCI-E 1.0 got lower bandwith than 2.1.
But it wont matter when it comes to gpus. Since no graphicscard can max that bandwith at the moment.
But it does matter a bit when it comes to high end raid cards.

Raid cards? You mean Sli/crossfire. And also they each get their own bandwidth so it wouldn't matter.

Well the only cards ive seen that does use more than the bandwith of PCI-E 1.0, is raid cards. Even if youre running up to 2 cards.

Oh.. haha! Sorry I see what you mean now.. I thought raid was in reference to video cards!

No, haha
Sorry for my bad English, Its not my native language and im also starting to become a little rusty too. :)

Hate to bump it up, but thanks for the info! I'm on an old x2 @ 2.9GHz rig and want to wait just a little before jumping on a major upgrade (six core, new graphics), and being able to switch to a much newer graphics card helps a lot!

Definitely. It'll make a huge difference depending on your monitor resolution, and you can carry it over when you upgrade your board/CPU.

Back