• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking out a Z68 Gen3 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mean_dm

Picking out a Mobo. But I am pretty limited in my selection. I'm going to be trying to head to Micro Center in the DFW area, providing the November 60$ off mobo deal stacks with the CPU deal...

Anyway, my choices are:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0378096

and

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0374835

Reason I ask this, is because I only ever hear about MSI's G3 boards and ASRocks G3 boards, and hardly ever about Asus's. If the Asus board is a go, and you guys would recommend it, it's definitely the one I'm looking at more for a more "future" ready set up.

Personally, I would go with the Asus board. I have used P8P67 boards. They are very similar, same EFI just a few different features. I've had no issues with either my P8P67-PRO or P8P67-Deluxe. They are both extremely solid boards and I would recommend them to anyone going the Sandy Bridge route.

As for the MSI board, I've heard of lots of issues (BIOS bugs from what I understand) with MSI boards and throttling down multipliers when overclocked. I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not. I know little about them, just that it seems they have some issues. I hope someone who has some more knowledge with these boards can chime in and give their 2 cents.

was just at the DFW mc and no combo deal at the moment, but still great deals with the price of processors alone. Your mobo choice should consider whether you will ever want to run sli or cfx as the cheaper boards are limited to x4 for the second card on most if not all.
I have the black giga ud3 and an asus p67 pro and they both clock my chip the same speeds. So best to figure out what is important to you before you decide what to buy, esp if money is a concern

was just at the DFW mc and no combo deal at the moment, but still great deals with the price of processors alone. Your mobo choice should consider whether you will ever want to run sli or cfx as the cheaper boards are limited to x4 for the second card on most if not all.
I have the black giga ud3 and an asus p67 pro and they both clock my chip the same speeds. So best to figure out what is important to you before you decide what to buy, esp if money is a concern

What? Really? Their Nov. ad says 60$ off a Z68 or P67 board with the purchase of a 2500K CPU... Just not running the deal anymore?

picked up a 2600k and board but no discount, maybe cause the 2600k. didnt see the usual advert at the door this time either. could call and check

Hmm... The 2600k is listed... I'll have to call tomorrow and find out when I have the time... Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have called otherwise. It might not be worth saving 30$ on the CPU for the drive down there during Friday unless the Mobo deal is still in effect and stacks =/.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/33e9daac#/33e9daac/27 <-- The page in the ad.

picked up a 2600k and board but no discount, maybe cause the 2600k. didnt see the usual advert at the door this time either. could call and check

in the november ad it highlights the 2500k as the cpu to get the 60 off. i called earlier today they are still running this and will be honoring it on black friday.

edit: id go with the asus

Ok, so the only Gen3 mobo they leave off is the one I wanted... My luck, of course.

How is this board? MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) LGA 1155

Be honest, if you think it sucks, say it sucks, I don't want want to throw money down the drain. But you guys won't let that happen :)

I'll have a 2500k, I'll be upgrading when Ivy comes out (rather not have to upgrade the mobo too). I have 1x 460 GTX 1gb gpu, I WILL get another one around or before I upgrade to Ivy. All I do is game on my system, I'd like to gloat over my buddies who have been gloating with their systems and laughing at mine (Meh), but it's not entirely necessary.... maybe a little.

I might do a LITTLE video editing, but nothing substantial.

Is it worth getting the 45 for ~90$ or getting the Asus/MSI65/ASRock Extreme4 for 200$? (I don't think I can get those for 60 off, either not on the ad or out of stock...ugh)

UPDATE: They put up an MSI Z68 GD-65 G3 mobo... ONE... My luck turned for the better! I've got it officially reserved now...

But, if someone could still answer the question above, that'd be great, it's always good to learn a thing or two.

Last edited:
Back