• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu - more bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigeonfood

Registered
This thread kinda relates to one i did last week which was to do with overclocking my i7 2600 (non k version)...which i seemed to have a hard time time doing.To solve this problem I need help knowing what cpu is better to buy since i am a noob in this area.
Which i7 or i5 cpu is more bang for the buck for gaming, I'm thinking about just getting the 2600k if I can sell my 2600 but feedback would be great. thanks.

my specs
my mobo: asus p8z68-V Pro
ram: 16g (potentially)
ddr3 8g 1333mhz
gpu: 590 ti
psu: 700w
will also be getting a h80 cooler with whichever cpu i get.

Few games will use the extra cores of the 2600k but not many. Thats not to say that future games wont start using more cores though.

IMO id go with the 2500k if it were only for gaming.

2500k is probably the best bang/buck CPU out there for gaming. It doesn't lose much, if any, to the 2600k and it costs $100 less.

Bang for your buck while gaming...I'd say the i5 2500k. Most games don't use a full 4 cores of my 2600k, so they don't touch the 4 extra threads from hyper threading. Plus, the 2500ks are also supposedly better for overclocking.

2nd question...futuristicly 2600k is worth the extra money right? but 2500k is better money wise n performance for oc for games that are played today but not in the future right?
Im looking long term performance as well as gaming today and in the future...money is tight so im just tryin to get the most for me money so the cpu is gonna have to last quite awhile, with the only upgrade coming from overclockiing. thx for feedback fellas.

The 2600k's hyperthreading gives it up to 35% more performance for things that are written to use all eight threads. Unfortunately not many things are written to use all eight threads. In the future? Who knows.

Back