• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tested everything, Comp still won't turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillD10

The NICs have eyes
I have a new motherboard that was working with the stock heatsink. I installed the aftermarket heatsink and placed it in a case and it would not turn on. When I first apply power to the psu and press the power button, there is a 1/2 second buzz sound from the psu then nothing. If I press the bottton again, nothing happens at all. I have to unplug the psu before it will give the buzz sound again.
I have tried both boards on 2 different psus, and the psus were tested and good. Here is the list of what I have done. All of it was with the mobo, cpu, and ram only:

-tested power switch
-tested 2 separate psu
-tested power cord
-tested wall outlet
-everything is seated correctly
-cpu fan and case fan plugged in
-reset cmos
-removed boards and placed on non-conductive surface
-I have used the aftermarket heatsink before with no problems

Did I over-tighten the heat sink?
Was it killed by static?
Did it short out on the case? I have used this case before.
I also have the same problem with a older board.

The specs are:
Asus M4A88T-V EVO USB3
Phenom II 2x will not unlock
Kingston 4gb Ram
Thermaltake TR2 RX-550
Thermaltake TR2 430

I had bent a pin on the cpu before, but I had it working so I just swapped heatsinks and cases and it wouldn't power up. I only have the 4pin power connector, but it had been working with that setup. This is the second board in a row that started this problem. The other one is an Asus M3A78 PRO.

Update:
I got the M4A88 to power on when I forgot to plug in the 4pin plug, so I'd try the same with the M3A78 and I imediatly got a lot of smoke in my face. I plugged the supply back into the M4A88 with the 4pin plugged in, and got the buzz sound psu and nothing else. Also, I think one of the supplies are dead.

Back