• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Sam BFE - is OUT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A friend picked it up, can't stop saying how great it is. Tons of humor (not like Duke humor) and awesome ridiculous rampaging, kind of like the old games but fresher. He did note that it has terrible SLi support and had to disable his second card to get the game to run well.

I played for about two hours last night and it was a serious good time. If you enjoyed the first one (I didn't play #2), you'll enjoy this one. There is a good amount of the Sam humor, but I actually *do* think it's a little more like Duke than it use to be. Not in a bad way, just slightly more mature than previous Sam.

After two hours I've only picked up the sledge hammer, the 9mm, and the 12 gauge pump. There are lots more weapon slots, so I assume the single player has a decent length to it. First game I've ever pre-ordered, and I'm not disappointed that I did. I'm running mostly medium settings with my pc and getting a minimum of 45 fps, normally 60-80.

I am looking forward to playing this game tonight. I remember the good old days when the first came out and SS the second encounter. co-op was a blast!

When the original came out, my dad, 2 brothers and I ran LAN coop all night until we beat it.

Just played through the first level.. 0 out of 17 secrets! :( Man its just like the first one but with updated graphics etc.. As soon as the headless guys that scream with the bombs came at me, a sense of panic set in! lol. Great game so far that does not want to be taken 'seriously'

I got the assault rifle last night. We should get some co-op groups going. I'm in both the OCF and OCF L4D groups on steam under the same alias.

The assault rifle was a nice turning point in the game, things really started opening up and getting serious. Then it got even more serious when you pick up the rocket launcher. I don't have the cannon yet, but I noticed some ammo on top of a container that I couldn't get to. It has to be close, I've got the c4 already too! Ooooh, maybe that's what I need to use on that mob of Kleer skeletons...

I've been playing Sam3 (BFE) in co-op survivor mode lately. Amazingly difficult even with all the available weapons, ammo and shields. Downside: Only two maps for this gametype.

Also played versus game version one shot kill. This is a lot like UnrealTournament in instagib mode. One rifle available, one shot kills. A very nice challenge.

For campaign mode, single player this version of Sam is far more difficult than previous versions. (And the graphics are light years ahead of prior versions too!) Secrets are not obvious, and it is work to find and kill all enemies before moving to the next level.

Niiice!

I have played about 6 hours of single player.. Not sure how much I have left. I did try to get online and play a match but at the time the only server with people in it was in germany :S It was a standard deathmatch game, with a horrible map. LOL. I do like the game still for when I just want to shoot things and not worry about capping points or k/d ratios :)

I'm about 4-5 hours into the game, and I read a review that claimed 12 or 14 hours of single player. I could see 8-10 hours (at my pace) with no problem.

I can only recall a few times where I've noticed that pop-up saying that I've found one, and at least two of those have been "mini secrets." I'm not actively looking for them, however. I probably will on a later play through, but for now I'm just enjoying the great looking graphics and re-learning how to do crowd control of diverse baddies :)

For me, Sam has the best game play of any shooter. I'm looking forward to getting into a co-op game this weekend.

I got a 'deal' on this for $32 and still feel ripped off. The engine seems like a POS. It IS good ol Sam, but I'm not sure how well the franchise has aged. For me. :shrug:

Last edited:
nightelph, what part(s) of the engine don't feel right to you? I'm admittedly easy to please, but I feel like the game is pretty well polished.

I'm not sure how effective the immortal scorpion is at deterring piracy, but it's pretty sweet nonetheless. I'd love to see the reactions of the first people that got scorp'd with their pirated copy of the game! Total facepalm moment lol.

The assault rifle was a nice turning point in the game, things really started opening up and getting serious. Then it got even more serious when you pick up the rocket launcher. I don't have the cannon yet, but I noticed some ammo on top of a container that I couldn't get to. It has to be close, I've got the c4 already too! Ooooh, maybe that's what I need to use on that mob of Kleer skeletons...

Yeh the cannon was on a rooftop in the same area... man, the cannon is awesome!!

Back