• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not RAM, its flash so thats a bit different.

However, it is possible to upgrade some drives, with the right tools and the right chips - there was a guy on here who was soldering on more chips to one of the Intel drives to expand its capacity.

Welcome to the forums!

i figured it was ram, some of those cut away shots on newegg look like its just laptop ram shoved into a hard drive case. thanks for the clarification.
any chance you have that thread saved. did a search but not coming up with anything on it. would love to mod up an ssd. im sure that i could get the needed chips from mouser or digikey pretty cheap.

Ya, that is understandable - they can look similar. Both are essentially just chips mounted on a PCB. SSDs are non volatile (it remembers even if it isn't powered), see NAND. RAM is volatile (it forgets if it isn't powered), see DRAM.

I took a peak for the thread when I mentioned it, but couldn't find it... I wanted to link it for you as its a rare and interesting topic. I'll see if I can find it again here, or maybe someone else remembers it and can link.

thanks
just read all the posts on there.. im not shocked that they would use the same boards, makes things streamline.
im guessing this is the same as the 60gb vs the 120 that ocz has that i linked.

i do a lot of building of pretty simple electronics, just worried about spending 100 on a new drive to try and boost it by another 100gb. always that chance you end up with a dead unit.

Wish they could be like the original SSD's, just a PCI card with a bunch of ram slots on 'em...

Back