• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme evaporative water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok guys so Im a bit bored and now that the ambient temps here are low enough that were not using the coolers anymore I have an idea.

What I'm going to be doing here is opening up a portable evaporative cooler I have that we use in the family room during the summer. Its got a 20x20 evaporative pad and a 1000+ CFM 18" fan inside of it. Im planning to set this up for some winter time cold water benching AND also so that I can setup my main rig temporarily until I decide what im going to do about a case.
On that note Ill be pulling an old raidmax case out of storage to mount my 990xa-ud3 /w PII-925 and dual 460s and just cut a hole out of the rear fan grill.

Im guessing that I should be able to get maybe 4c below ambient temp with this rig. What I plan to do is open up the cooler and drop my 660GPH pond pump into it and run the hoses/power cord out through the side fill port. Quick, easy, simple.

Ill be back with pictures in a while.

If it's dry enough where you live you may get even lower than that. In any case, we'll want pictures and results!

I live in central new mexico, its pretty damn dry out here. The ambient out my garage is like 64f right now so this should be fun. Would you say 1.7v is safe on cool water for a socket 939 chip?

No clue, it really depends on what you mean by "safe" and how hot the chip is.
I have no experience with those chips, so I don't really know what they can take.

Ok so now that I spent the whole 5 minuites that this mod took heres a few pics.

img3082n.jpg

img3085p.jpg

Im going to go dredge out my 460s and my 990fx and get them setup in my old case.

I just dont want to cook them enough to hinder my subzero runs in the spring time. Ill see how it goes, the cold scaling on these chips isnt fabulous anyways.

Looks like my itchy fingers just became your itchy fingers, eh? LOL, good luck with it.

That contraption looks like a glorified wicking humidifier, is that essentially what it is?

Not really, The unit includes a bottom siphoning pump which runs up to the top of that corrugated pad. The pad is like 6 layer of 1/4" strips in an alternating weave. The fan then just sucks air across it and blows cool air out the other side. We use these here in the desert for cooling in the summer time.
Ive seen some crazy evap builds over the years, and Ive been saying for years that one of these prefab coolers should dominate any bong or tiered run off systems.

So I have the case all prepped, man that thing was DUSTY! and full of webs...
Anyhoo I got it all cleaned up and mounted up, I decided that I really want to have a run at this sempron 140 that I picked up to test my mobo after my last 925 went poof. So as it stands now the config is:
case: Raidmax something old and silver...
Enermax Naxn 750w semi modular PSU
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
AMD Sempron 140 (unlocks) /w alphacool nexos HF block
2x 2GB GSkill RipJaws X 1866 8-9-8
2x EVGA GTX 460 1GB /w XSPC razor full coverage block, in parallel using 2x Koolance 2-3 slot slider SLI fittings
water eXtreme 660GPH hydroponic grade submersible pump
and some random amount of 7/16" primochill tube in uv red and uv green.
Corsair F115 115GB sanforce SATA2 SSD.
seagate 7200.12 500GB
seagate 7200.10 320GB

BRB with pictures.

Last edited:
Not really, The unit includes a bottom siphoning pump which runs up to the top of that corrugated pad. The pad is like 6 layer of 1/4" strips in an alternating weave. The fan then just sucks air across it and blows cool air out the other side. We use these here in the desert for cooling in the summer time.
Ive seen some crazy evap builds over the years, and Ive been saying for years that one of these prefab coolers should dominate any bong or tiered run off systems.

So I have the case all prepped, man that thing was DUSTY! and full of webs...
Anyhoo I got it all cleaned up and mounted up, I decided that I really want to have a run at this sempron 140 that I picked up to test my mobo after my last 925 went poof. So as it stands now the config is:
case: Raidmax something old and silver...
Enermax Naxn 750w semi modular PSU
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
AMD Sempron 140 (unlocks) /w alphacool nexos HF block
2x 2GB GSkill RipJaws X 1866 8-9-8
2x EVGA GTX 460 1GB /w XSPC razor full coverage block, in parallel using 2x Koolance 2-3 slot slider SLI fittings
water eXtreme 660GPH hydroponic grade submersible pump
and some random amount of 7/16" primochill tube in uv red and uv green.

BRB with pictures.

can't wait to see this! :clap:

<begin cheezy movie scene>
homie 1:"Hey bro how big of a heatsink do I need to OC my rig as fast as yours"
<insert sweet flying 3d view of rig>
img3086i.jpg

img3087lc.jpg

img3088uz.jpg

img3089po.jpg

img3090pc.jpg

img3091g.jpg

Me: "duddee you need a heatsink bigger than yo rig to OC LIKE ME!"

<end ghetoness>

So Ive been in a weird mood all day, I just need to make one last wipe down of the inside of the cooler before I fire up my rig. These things get nasty calcium deposits in them from our hard *** ground water. I rinsed it out with the hose earlier but I think I still see some grime that I dont want going through this pump.

to give you some perspective this is an average but not small mid tower case and the cooler is aprox 4.5" thicker, 2 or 3" wider, and about 8" taller than this tower is. Ive got 3 fan speeds to work with the lowest is fairly quiet the highest is somewhat annoying if your close to it. Ill be pulling out my V&A 8060 dual probe thermometer so I can monitor basin to ambient delta at each of the 3 speeds.

So I have only had one session with this board previously when I was rocking the CUBE with my MoRa3 but its very similar to most other GB boards Ive handled. Hoping this is a nice sempy It unlocks no problems I did that in bios when I was checking the board 5/6 weeks ago and it comes up in CPUZ as an athlon x2 regor, so hopefully it will go far on this setup.

Last edited:
<begin cheezy movie scene>
homie 1:"Hey bro how big of a heatsink do I need to OC my rig as fast as yours"
<insert sweet flying 3d view of rig>
img3086i.jpg

img3087lc.jpg

img3088uz.jpg

img3089po.jpg

img3090pc.jpg

img3091g.jpg

Me: "duddee you need a heatsink bigger than yo rig to OC LIKE ME!"

<end ghetoness>

So Ive been in a weird mood all day, I just need to make one last wipe down of the inside of the cooler before I fire up my rig. These things get nasty calcium deposits in them from our hard *** ground water. I rinsed it out with the hose earlier but I think I still see some grime that I dont want going through this pump.

to give you some perspective this is an average but not small mid tower case and the cooler is aprox 4.5" thicker, 2 or 3" wider, and about 8" taller than this tower is. Ive got 3 fan speeds to work with the lowest is fairly quiet the highest is somewhat annoying if your close to it. Ill be pulling out my V&A 8060 dual probe thermometer so I can monitor basin to ambient delta at each of the 3 speeds.

So I have only had one session with this board previously when I was rocking the CUBE with my MoRa3 but its very similar to most other GB boards Ive handled. Hoping this is a nice sempy It unlocks no problems I did that in bios when I was checking the board 5/6 weeks ago and it comes up in CPUZ as an athlon x2 regor, so hopefully it will go far on this setup.

lookin forward to seein some numbers! good luck!

Well id certianly say that an 11C delta after 15 mins on medium while installing win7 was worth it!

Cant wait to see what it can handle under full load.

img3093tv.jpg

Last edited:
Are you circulating coolant from the EV cooler to the CPU block?

Or, do you have a HE in the bottom of the EV cooler?

tomdean

Circulating the same water. The submersible pump is suction cupped to the bottom pretty close to the center directly under the evap pad. It pumps up through the blocks then drains back into the basin. The cooler has its own pump that circulates water up runs down across the pad and drains back into the basin. Pretty simple setup. I had my sempron unlocked so I couldnt get accurate temps off it but Based on the GPU temps I feel confident that the CPU didnt top 20c.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2224513_

Subscribing because this is pretty awesome. I wonder how this compares to a showerhead bong in terms of surface area.

That's freakin awesome man.
I'd always wondered if something like 660GPH could be handled by a water cooling system (I mean, without causing leaks at the fittings). Looks like yes!
What a cool experiment. I'd want to run a quality EHEIM 250-350GPH if I ever water cooled coming from my aquarium knowledge. You must have a nice pond btw :).

I missed this until now, need more updates. :)

Have you considered setting up a filter in the basin? Maybe panty hose around the intake of the pump. Might help with any grime intake without causing too much restriction.

I just got done with a round of final exams an hour ago. I also just finished a big project. So hopefully Ill get some time this weekend to break this out. You know I have a foam filter for this pump ill need to locate it.

Sweet! Congrats on finishing finals. My girlfriend is done on Friday, which means I'm benchmarking like crazy while I hide out in the garage and keep my head down. :D

Back