• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looked into Hardware for Months, Havent Learned Anything About Software...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ious

Registered
Ive looked into hardware for about 2.5 months and its pretty safe to say that I know the ins and outs to general hardware. I already have my build ready for shipping, and I was really excited until I remembered something.

Is there anything I need to do for software in terms of BIOS and testing and other post-build things?

I have no experience in BIOS configuration, and I have no idea what I should do after Im done with it and loading the OS. (which is Windows 7)

Can anyone go through this process? And preferably in one post, as Im not going to be able to use the computer I am on during build.

Also, Im sorry if there is a thread already resolving this issue, I tried looking for one, couldnt find it.

Please note that I am 16 and have no knowledge whatsoever in software configuration and stuff.

I heard that I should try a stability test...

If the computer turns on and works properly after you build it, then you're ready to install windows.

The only thing you *might* need to do is go into the "boot" section of the bios and make it boot from the DVD/CD drive first, so it will load the windows cd

I really have no idea about the BIOS. is there a specific order I should have the components boot in?
And what about after downloading Windows 7?

The boot order on most motherboards I've used is something like (usb drive, harddrive, cd/dvd, network) by default. It scans each device in order, looking for an operating system to load. You probably won't have to change the order, I was just suggesting that you might.

You might wanna poke around in the bios of the machine you're currently on. It's really not scary

What about after Windows is loaded and I am on the desktop? Is there anything specific I need to do?

For the most part, Windows is plug and play. It's made to be intuitive for users who have never used a computer before. After Windows is installed (which is pretty much inserting the DVD and pressing next), just install the software you want and it should all be good.

just echoing what Oulse said. Once you have the hardware together and it powers on (if you can play with legos, you can put together pc hardware), then just read the user manual that comes with the motherboard. (as a side note, don't hook up to the internet until later, i will explain why further down in the post)

The manual will tell you the proper keyboard key to hit to enter the BIOS/UEFI menu, and it ought to show you how to get into the proper menu to change the boot order so you can set your optical drive to boot first so it reads the windows dvd and starts the install.

Once windows is installed (it holds your hand all the way through), before hooking it up to the internet, install your motherboard drivers that came on the disc in the box with the motherboard. If you have a video card, sound card, etc., then install the drivers for those from the included discs. If you have a preferred Antiviral solution that is on disc (or if not, just download it and put it on a thumbdrive or something similar), install it last before connecting to the internet. While windows 7 isn't near as vulnerable as it was back in the days of XP to being attacked before antiviral was installed, it is still a good habit to get into.

Then, once online, you will likely have to update the antiviral definitions/activate it if it is a payed-for software. You will need to activate windows 7. You will likely be downloading many security updates for 7, and if you are a gamer, will want to download the latest drivers for your hardware from the hardware manufacturer's websites, especially for your gpu (from nividia if nvidia based, from amd if amd based).

Back