• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 4670 and both digital and analogue output problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XtremOC

Hey,

Hope you guys can help me out... I'm banking on the tech geniuses here to be able to answer my question.

A couple of days ago, I flashed the A13 Bios to my Dell XPS 1645 which has the Radeon Mobile HD4670 graphics subsystem. My set-up uses a 20" external monitor plugged into the VGA output as my main monitor - and the built-in 17" screen on the portable as a secondary monitor.

Since flashing the bios, when I play games, the game will play really well for 3 to 10 minutes, then I get a sudden black screen and the computer powers immediately down. These are mostly MMO games and the issue does happen with all games tried so far.

I've been through a day of various testing and updates etc. with Dell support and their final suggestion is that it's because the portable's screen takes a digital output and I'm playing the game on an extended desktop to a screen on an analogue output.

Their opinion is that extending through VGA over-stresses the graphics sub-system and that the extra demand made by the games pushes it over the edge. They suggest that the old bios used to allow this - but that the new bios has closed out this option... thought it can take 10 minutes before the crash happens.

This all sounds a bit fishy to me, so I thought I'd ask you guys whether there might be some technical sense behind this idea. What do you think?

X

That sounds fishy to me too. Is there a way to find out what your video card temps are? That sounds more like overheating. Running the signal through a VGA out port shouldn't add any significant stress to the system. Maybe the new BIOS triggers overheating protection at a lower point?

I would first try upgrading to the latest mobile Catalyst drivers for your card, then finding some software to read the GPU temps. GPU-Z is a good one: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2065/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.5.6.html

Back