• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will using a GPU enable me to OC more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tombo12345

I'm in the process of building a new system, and I will NOT be using this for gaming. I really want to have HDMI outs on the system, and the motherboard I plan on getting already has HDMI, but that would be powered by the CPU, presumably adding extra load onto it.

Will I be able to get a better overclock if I have a GPU to take the video load off of the CPU?

It will help if you give us more details like CPU and motherboard. On the newer CPUs with on die gpu it will help slightly but for the older 'clarkdale' CPUs with the gpu connected via a QPI it will not affect overclock since they are basically seperate dies under the same IHS.

Using the igpu will raise temps a bit but if you have decent cooling it won't make a difference.

Ok thank you for the info. I'm still on the fence between air cooling, and liquid cooling. I've never used water cooling before so I'm not confident I'd install it correctly.

Water cooling will be superior to air cooling. It really isn't that hard to do. But will cost a considerable amount more than air. Unless you go with a closed loop system like the h100.

If it will allow me to increase my OC, and to keep my system stable with less degredation, the extra cost is worth it.

Is there a downside to a closed loop system? Which kind of liquid cooler would you recomend? I'm a total noob when it comes to liquid cooling, and I've been trying to read up on it the last couple days, but haven't been able to find a whole lot of applicable information.

the closed loop systems don't cool anywhere near as good as a custom loop. I personally built a custom loop and whoops my nh-d14 by 15-20'C. so it is worth it. I would suggest checking out the stickies in the watercooling section. that is where I learned most of my stuff. Also start another thread there asking for some input. but create a loop of your own first and ask them to critque it. most poeple will not "build" your loop for you but they will gladly put you on the right path. Just make sure to include all the details possible so it is easier to give advice when you start a thread in that section. :thup:

If it will allow me to increase my OC, and to keep my system stable with less degredation, the extra cost is worth it.

Is there a downside to a closed loop system? Which kind of liquid cooler would you recomend? I'm a total noob when it comes to liquid cooling, and I've been trying to read up on it the last couple days, but haven't been able to find a whole lot of applicable information.

I've had both a closed loop and traditional water cooling. Going with something like an H100 is going to get you incredibly close to that of traditional water cooling that the benefits of getting that extra heat dissapation to me isnt worth it. All the filling and leak checking....ugh.

I would rather spend the money adding new hardware than worrying about leaks all the time.

As for using the GPU on the 2600k, I havent noticed a derogation in terms of clocking; had you asked me the first day I got it I would have told you yes but that was before I understood the PLL limitations of sandy bridge as the explination for the clock wall I hit

That is the guide I found the most helpful! hokie did an amazing job on it if you read through that you will pick up lots of new info.

Here are some kits that have what you need but you still have to assemble. I bought the H20-220 and love it. I am currently looking into a pump and cpu block upgrade but if you went with either of those it would be a good start. the H20-220 Edge was reviewed on our front page awhile back. So you might want to check it out.

Back