• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 BE Low Voltage & Mild OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thereelaristotl

Registered
While putting together a system for a friend who doesn't know much about hardware I was tweaking his CPU for a mild overclock.

Bearing in mind that he was using the stock cooler and fair to middling air cooling.

I just wanted to get a few extra mHZ, so I upped the clock to 3.6 (200x18) then started to scale down the voltage to get the temps (and fan noise) as low as possible.

This is where I was getting a little shocked I got the VCC down to 1.28 (and haven't hit a floor yet) and am still 100% stable at 3.6, is that common on the C3 chips?

Attachments

• Prime Running.png
    Prime Running.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Prime Done.png
    Prime Done.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
While putting together a system for a friend who doesn't know much about hardware I was tweaking his CPU for a mild overclock.

Bearing in mind that he was using the stock cooler and fair to middling air cooling.

I just wanted to get a few extra mHZ, so I upped the clock to 3.6 (200x18) then started to scale down the voltage to get the temps (and fan noise) as low as possible.

This is where I was getting a little shocked I got the VCC down to 1.28 (and haven't hit a floor yet) and am still 100% stable at 3.6, is that common on the C3 chips?

I have about the same results. In the bios the Volts will read 1.3volts.
I OC'ed my 955 to 3.8 and reduced volts to 1.35 stable. But you push them any lower, it wont be stable.

Sounds like a pretty choice piece of silicone. Its always possible for your chip to perform at lower voltages but not all units will.

Back