• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade itch!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurita

Registered
Hi everyone it's been a while since my last visit. So recently i had to replace my son's psu, got the corsair tx750 on sale for his three yr old amd setup. And with all the sales going around i got the itch to do some upgrading myself. Back in early 2010 i put together a gaming rig for myself.

i7 920 stock speed (2.67ghz)
Asus p6X58d premium
Asus EAH5870hd 1gb
6gb skills ram
Intel SSD 40gig
WB black 1tb 7200
antec 1200
antec cp850

Initial Itch!
Just order me: corsair H100 and XFX 6970 2gb for some OC'ng and to max out ultra setting for BF3.

Question: Should i continue w/ upgrading or OC my 920? I hear good things about the 2500k? Is it worth upgrading? If so any recommendation with the following

mobo: ?
cpu: 2500k (from what I've read this is good enough for gaming?)
ram: ?
ssd: ? (i'm constantly have to be mindful of any software installations, updates, etc)

Don't want to spend to much money, so suggestions are welcome. Who knows maybe if it's tempting enough my son get's mine.

As always this is the best site ever!! thanks for the feedback!

awesome! good to know the 920 still holds up. Reading up on IvyBridge, interesting Intel's move towards intergrated GPU.

I'd just OC that 920. with the H100 you should be able to hit 4ghz. Im on air and I got my 930 hitting 4.15, basicly mine is a 920. I'd just do wha tyou did, upgrade gpu+cpu cooler and wait till next spring to get new mobo+cpu+mem

I just replaced my 920 in my sig with a 2500k system. I had run my 920 at 4ghz since I got it so its not a noticeable performance difference since nothing I did was anywhere near cpu limited to start with. I really needed to replace my 555BE amd work system though and my old i7 fit the bill nicely.

You will obviously have a nice upgrade for your son's system if you do it now or in 6 months.

I highly recommend getting an H100. Get 4 identical fans for push/pull, these are nice COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex. Thats $160+ in cooling setup alone but it will cover your current system and your next.

Since you should be passing on your current SSD with your system getting a new one now would not be a bad idea.

Video is a toss up. I have a 5870 in my work system and it definitely does not hold a candle to my 580 gtx but hoping the i7 will help push it a little better than the amd. Since there are definitely video card upgrades coming in the next 3-4 months I'd probably wait.

Daleon great reviews on those cougars, I went ahead and order 4. I have an antec 1200 so more than likely I'll have to go with a top mount for the H100, so I may keep the 200mm sitting ontop and replace the back fans. I definitely want to keep this machine as quiet as possible.

Back