• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Caviar black noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sujnoj

Registered
I have a WD Caviar black which I recently purchased and noticed this "clicking" sound when the HDD is most active. Is this common amongst this model or should I diagnose and rma? Additionally what tools should I use to diagnose? Thanks!

I have 2 wd blacks that make this clicking sound you are referring to when the drive is transferring massive files. I believe it should be normal since I have had no issues and had the drives for over 3 years.

Just tested the drive, passed as expected.

I actually don't mind the sound, but seeing as most modern HDDs are relatively silent I was a bit concerned.

It gives my comp an "old school" sound :)

Just tested the drive, passed as expected.

I actually don't mind the sound, but seeing as most modern HDDs are relatively silent I was a bit concerned.

It gives my comp an "old school" sound :)

Yeah it reminds me of the older macintosh hard drives. They always had a neat chime to them lol. My 1TB Caviar Black makes noticeable noise. It's just the design, and hopefully why it is the black edition, speed > sound. My raptor makes the same noises, sometimes even louder, so you're probably fine.

For what it's worth, both of my old WD 250Gb used to do this... though they were not as loud as my two raptors were. Never had any trouble with them though.

I have a couple of WD 1TB Black faex Sata3/6.0gps drives, both noisy. I used a utility called hdtune pro and stopped the noise. It slowed the drives down just a hair but stopped the noise and they have worked great for over a year now. Frankly they were louder than my fans, which I have 5. Slowing the drives did not affect performance as it was less than 5% but did silence them. Haven't heard clicking since using the utility.

Quite a few comments on Newegg about the noise these drives make.

Last edited:
Back