• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there an issue with my SSD Raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamsexyrob

Registered
I have two OCZ Agility 3 120gb drives in raid 0 on my Crosshair IV Formula board with an AMD Phenom II 965 OC to 3.9ghz

maybe I'm reading this wrong but I thought the max speed of one of my drives was 525/500 MB/s shouldn't these benchmarks be at least that? the only one that looks really good is ATTO

In these benchmarks I'm comparing my SSD Raid against a 300gb WD Velociraptor drive, which was pretty fast for its time.

ssdisfast.png

I cant see the picture (possibly my office is blocking it). Can you host the image here (use the attach function).

That said, ATTO is the only bench that will show proper speeds on OCZ drives as it uses compressible data which is where these drives shine.

Looks OK to me. AMD chipsets seem to be, for some reason, slower than intel based chipsets. But in ATTO you are getting what you are supposed to.

Yeah, looks OK to me too. Disregard what HDTune says, it was made before SSDs were around and doesn't give a good indication on how quick a drive is. ATTO and Crystalmark, on the other hand, are very good indicators. ATTO is saying you are peaking around 745 mb/sec.

RAID 0 with solid state drives is generally a bad idea, unless you are shelling out money (hundreds to thousands) for a good hardware RAID controller that is made for SSDs. An onboard RAID controller is going to increase random seek times, which is the strength of a SSD. It really isn't worth it.

+1 to Thiddy per usual...

Actually, you made me look at his results closer. The reads are slower than the writes...normally its the other way around. What stripe size did you create the array with?

yeah thats what I was concerned about really.. why are my reads so much slower than my writes??

I think my options for stripe was 64k and 128k.. I left it on 64k when I built the array.

whats weird though, my win7 HDD ratings are lower then single drive, yet benchmarks show faster. any idea why? I went from 7.7 with one drive, to 7.5 with two.

whats weird though, my win7 HDD ratings are lower then single drive, yet benchmarks show faster. any idea why? I went from 7.7 with one drive, to 7.5 with two.
Here was my post from another thread which explains the Windows rating:

Since no one, besides Microsoft, know how the test determines the rating, it is literally useless.

Back