Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Guidance...upgrade to H67, i5 or i3 - gpu choice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 12:09 AM Thread Starter   #1
Amnesiac
Disabled

Guidance...upgrade to H67, i5 or i3 - gpu choice

So guys i need some answers.

I am going to upgrade to H67, i5 or i3.

I have no plans to change my awesome PSU. CX 430.

Now its the GPU thing that is killing me. I wanted to upgrade to at least GTX 560 from my GTS 450 SC... but i cant as my 430 doesn't have that much PCIe connecters.

So now i am going to upgrade to the least that can be, 550Ti. Remember i use 1600x900, so 550Ti is good enough. Even my 450 SC is good but...

I know most of you will say, use the 4pin molex to PCIe converter, but i dont want to use it... or should i?.

What should i do?. and is there any GPU that can be powered with 8pin only?.
Amnesiac is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-01-11, 12:11 AM   #2
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Updated your title to be a bit more specific, a good title lets people know what you are looking to discuss, and gets more people reading. "guidance" was a bit on the vague side.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-01-11, 12:15 AM Thread Starter   #3
Amnesiac
Disabled

Vague is sexy.
Old 12-01-11, 12:32 AM   #4
ssjwizard
Has slightly less legible writing
than Thideras, Member

10 Year Badge

550TI is pretty nice its on par with the 460-se cards. Its really not that bad using molex to pcie adapters. Actually you can pretty much make your own that are even better than the regular ones very easily. Anyway the 550 would probably do you nicely, though you could def go a bit higher on the 430w with only a 95w cpu.

Side note, are you sure you want H67? it does not allow overclocking. I mean even if you go with the I3 you can still OC it some on P67/Z68 boards.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled
Liquid Fusion, CM 690-II, A8+6670 Dual GFX, liquid cooled
Extreme evaporative water loop 450mm^3 water cooled beast - Incomplete
ssjwizard is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-01-11, 01:58 AM Thread Starter   #5
Amnesiac
Disabled

Yeah dude. I am sure. Actually i was thinking of H61. Overclocking+UPS=Rage!. Certain H67 features are tasty, so yes. P67 isn't cheap. Nearest P67 is nearly 100$ more and the nearest Z68 is 80$ more. Funny?... Yes.

Prices of HDD's in UK and USA: Nearly 100% more.

Prices of HDD's here: Nearly 20% more.

Even that much increase has shattered my budget. So i have to, at this moment, settle on either the G series or i3-2100. Then later in a month or so get the i5.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.