• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge cooler for Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fred3

I just got a new Z68XP-UD3.

I think I should probably upgrade the northbridge heatsink.

I'm looking at the Cooljag Falcon Mini Chipset cooler. But, I'm not sure that the mounting holes will work.

From the looks of the MB, there are two mounting screws on the bottom that hold in the stock heatsink. So, I presume one would remove those screws and the heatsink and install the new cooler using those holes. Anything trickier than that? Heatsink compound of course.....

You shouldn't need to upgrade the northbridge heatsink. Not a lot of critical stuff happening there now that a lot of what the NB used to do is handled by the CPU (memory controller, etc.). The NB won't hold back your overclock.

If you're really worried about it, the original heatsink with some better TIM would probably go a long way.

I had a Z68X-UD3 for a while, the PCH (that's what is under the heatsink) really doesn't run that hot if there is any airflow at all. I'd leave it alone, personally.

OK. Thanks folks! That speeds things up in getting this assembly done.

Back