• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer more folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dirty i5

Registered
hey everyone i recently setup my computer and test after test it is proven 24/7 stable. now to make sure i did this right i put my name in, got a pass key for team 32 and then set it up in the f@h v7 program. there is no need to fold alone lol, i just want to make sure i did it right.

I'm not sure what you mean in saying you got a passkey for team 32. Passkeys are based on the user name you chose and the email address you gave when requesting the key. Team number isn't part of the passkey criteria. Hopefully its just a terminology issue and you really did it right.

Tell us about your rig. An i5, guessing from the member name?

Well I put my name in and ten entered the pass key and team number 32, the rig is asus p67 sabertooth with a 900w power supply, 8gb ram, 1tb and 2tb hard drives, intel i5 2500k up to 4.3 sitting under a noctua cooler, with a gtx 560ti overclocked up to 1000mhz, to work well with the f@h v7 gpu client

Thanks guy, this computer is great cant wait for ivy bridge, but just for personal reference does having a higher video card over clock help the folding process? like say 950mhz to 1000mhz will 50mhz make a huge diffence?

With folding, going for the bleeding edge usually makes less ppd than a slightly less aggressive OC. Folding is one of the toughest stability tests for the CPU or GPU and if you aren't folding stable, you will error out WUs and that'll cost more ppd than those few extra MHz will gain you. Often when you get to the bleeding edge, a change in ambient temps will render a machine Folding unstable.

On CPUs TPF goes down in a fairly linear relationship with increased frequency. It's not nearly as linear with GPUs. 50 Mhz (5.3%) in your case will not increase PPD by 5.3%. What it might do is cause your GPU to fail WUs. 5 fails in a row and it goes into a 24 hour pause, which isn't good for ppd. You can try and see.
Unfortunately, v7 can't be monitored by HFM, which has the very nice feature of notifying you of failed WUs.

Cuda,
Didn't you do some testing on a fermi with OC and resultant production? How close to linear was it?

It was furmark and heaven 2.5 stable but the temp difference between 950-1000mhz was 10 degrees so I'm thinking since there will me a small increase in ppd, but a high chance to fail its not worth the risk because of not bein home to moniter it

I think that's a good way to start. I can't tell you how many new folders we've lost over the years, who brought their bleeding edge Prime stable rigs into folding only to find they weren't folding stable. Rather than turn down their impressive overclock, they quit folding. Nobody runs their stability tester 24/7/365, like FAH, so they never stress it nearly enough to find true folding stability.

OCCT seems to be the best folding stability predictor, BTW.

Cuda's numbers show that on a 560 Ti, a 5% overclock, results in about a 4.25% increase in ppd (about 15% less than linear progression). The jump from 965 to 1010 MHz was a bit less effective, 83% scaling.

Back