• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System Built - Conundrum (BSOD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mean_dm

BSOD comes right after the Windows 7 Loading Logo.

System Specs:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/G3
2500K CPU
8g (2x4g) Ripjaws x
460 GTX 1gb
550W Corsair TX
Thor V2 case

I was just using the HDD I had in my old system, so I don't think it's the HDD itself, maybe? I'm thinking I'm not configuring something correctly. At first, I was getting a POST screen telling me "No Physical Drive". Switched the SATA HDD to the 6g slot and I don't get that anymore, now I get a POST screen where it lists the HDD and under a column it says Unconfigured. Not sure what that means... The manual for the Mobo doesn't tell me a whole lot about anything regarding the BIOS or the Mobo. The default SATA configuration is AHCI, I tried IDE, but that didn't work (not really sure if that would have worked or not). I'm only using one HDD, a 250g Seagate Barricuda. (I know it's a lousy storage size, but I haven't found the need to go beyond that.)

I've tried switching out the SATA cables, tried different SATA power ports, but none of the above has worked thus far. The BSOD flashes by too quickly for me to be able to see the error code on it. I'll try and plug the HDD into this comp to see if it is the HDD, will report back in a few mins.

Thanks to anyone that wants to help!

*Edit* I should also note that in any SATA config, or before switching SATA ports, the BIOS could "see" my HDD.

Have you tried your hard drive in a different system? It sounds like it's starting to go. You can also boot from the Windows 7 install disk and run a chkdsk on the hard drive to see if it can be repaired.

That's what I was just doing... It's fine in the other two computers in my house.

No, never had to do it before... Booted up and works fine with the other two comps, albeit "Installing New Devices", but I am on these forums using my HDD on this (different) computer as we type.

No, never had to do it before... Booted up and works fine with the other two comps, albeit "Installing New Devices", but I am on these forums using my HDD on this (different) computer as we type.

In that case I would suggest a complete reformat of the drive and a clean install of windows as convicted mentioned.

Since I didn't have a SATA DvD drive yet, I went out and purchased one from Bestbuy (Friggen Price Gougers...) for 60$.

No cigar, that did not work... Also grabbed another HDD just in case, but I have the same issue with a different HDD. Yes, reformatted using this comp then installed Windows on the first HDD on this comp, nothing. Tried installing from the new system, same problem.

Re-seated the RAM, not the problem, tried different RAM slots, tried different DDR3 RAM... Tried different GPU, nada, nada, and nada.. :(

I've built several systems, but this is my first with this UEFI BIOS, which is why I thought I might have to do something in BIOS before it will work.

Could it be a configuration in the BIOS?

Anyone have any more ideas? I have no more hair on my head to pull out, almost time to start breaking things.

Can someone definitively say it has nothing to do with the Marvell Boot screen saying the HDD is "Unconfigured"? Like I said, I get a Marvell Boot screen that lists my HDD with a few columns like speed and whatnot, the last column is named "Status" and for my HDD it says "Unconfingured".

I just switched the HDD to yet a fourth separate computer a friend has... The only computer having the problems is my new system.

Is it possible that 550W is not enough to power my machine, so it just gives me the BSOD right after the Windows Loading screen?

That is unlikely.

Have you tried using different a different sata port? IE if your on the marvel controller change over the the ports that are intel controlled.

I've tried every SATA port on the Mobo.

http://www.pctreiber.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/p8z68-deluxe_2d_l.jpg

The SATA ports are on the bottom left, I've plugged the HDD into each one of those 8 SATA ports. I'll go attempt it again, just to for the sake of Divine Intervention, hah. Will edit my post in about 2-3 mins.

*EDIT*

I guess I called it... I kid you not, the exact SATA port that started this mess just booted Windows up fine, no BSOD... Which scares me even more because I haven't done anything that COULD change the outcome. The exact same SATA port, SATA3G_3, gave me the BSOD not even 45 mins ago, but has now booted up with absolutely no errors. I hit Restart just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and it was fine.

I will say that it still says "No Physical Disk", though... Is this a fluke? Should I not worry about that?

Last edited:
Lol glad somone else had this problem. The P8Z68 is such a **** when it comes to boot drives. There are actually two seperate tabs for boot devices is what's going on.

There is a section for:

USB Media Boot order
CDROM Boot Order
HDD Boot Order

HOWEVER! that order listed there is not what it actually uses to boot >_< there is a seperate list FROM that list that is listed on the easy mode section or the general boot section. Why this is important is that it doesnt automatically roll to another device when the "list" has an unavailable drive. Example

You have your HDD and CDR and USB drive order set correctly HOWEVER you have the following order set in the boot menu:

CDR
USB (that was used to ghost an OS)
Your SATA HDD

If you removed your USB stick it will loop with "no disc found" over and over until you remove the USB boot from the list and go

CDR
HDD

Then it will load normally. No clue why they did this and it damn near made me late for work after getting RAID 0 setup on these Intel 320s after I spent all night trying to get it working. Spent a good 3 hours shouting explatitives why I couldnt get the raid mounted properly >_<

Ah thats similar to the handyman method, when all else fails find a bigger hammer.

Back