• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: how to use a laptop to control a pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demogorgon100

Registered
To start off I am aware of teamviewer or remote desktop. Good options but they have lag, good for basic operations but not what I'm looking for.
I am looking to control my PC with my laptops display and keyboard in real life.
To be able to shut off my main display and use my laptop to get real life performance and abilities of my PC but on my laptop screen.
I have found KVM switches which seam to be the best option, however to make this more interesting I'm looking for a wireless option.
From what I read wireless switches .. well suck, some do not allow keyboard integration or have other issues.
I also found synergy, which is an interesting option but not sure if I can use a screen to control other pcs.
If any one has any experience, help would be much appreciated. Even If anyone has used KVM switches post your opinions please.

RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) has a setting that allows for full speeds. It can default to low bandwidth. So that is why it might seem laggy.

I suggest giving the RDC a try again.

Open it up.. You will see a small arrow on the bottom with the word Options next to it.. Select that arrow. It will expand downwards. The tab that has the word Experience. Select that. You want LAN 10Mbps or higher in the drop down.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) has a setting that allows for full speeds. It can default to low bandwidth. So that is why it might seem laggy.

I suggestgiving the RDC a try. Instead of just using it and going. Open it up.. You will see a small arrow on the bottom with the word Options next to it.. Select that arrow. It will epxand downwards. The tab that has the word Experience. Select that. You want LAN 10Mnps or higher in the drop down.

I do about every tasks with the machine across the room. It is how I control my server and experience little to no lag. I sometimes will control all the machines in my home at once. Switching between machines and spreading a heavy load across my network. I get the full bandwidth of my network.
Are you able to do real-time editing (photos and such), again I'm essentially looking to use the monitor and keyboard on my laptop to control my PC not only on basic stuff but HD and high cpu and gpu processes.
If so you d man.

I will look in to it thank you.

I sometimes use my server for encoding, packing/unpacking and other heavy tasks. I even will watch 1080P movies on it as well. If my primary machine is tied up with other things. I offload tasks as I have need. It encompasses all the machines in my network at times. RDC is an important part of that. Sometimes my wife is not happy that I use her machine with my user (on her machine,) and her machine bogs down... She yells at me and tells me go find another machine... I actually perform maintenance tasks while she is on it. From my machine. Things like defrag and virus scans.. Beyond me taking advantage of her i7 for encoding and other heavy lifting tasks.

I suggest at least giving it a shot. I know it works for me very well. I think it would for you also. The only drawback. It logs off the current user. If you're really crafty. You can set up the machines to use magic packets to turn the machine on from your remote machine.

Last edited:
I sometimes use my server for encoding, packing/unpacking and other heavy tasks. I even will watch 1080P movies on it as well. If my primary machine is tied up with other things. I offload tasks as I have need. It encompasses all the machines in my network at times. RDC is an important part of that. Sometimes my wife is not happy that I use her machine with my user (on her machine,) and her machine bogs down... She yells at me and tells me go find another machine... I actually perform maintenance tasks while she is on it. From my machine. Things like defrag and virus scans.. Beyond me taking advantage of her i7 for encoding and other heavy lifting tasks.

I suggest at least giving it a shot. I know it works for me very well. I think it would for you also. The only drawback. It logs off the current user. If you're really crafty. You can set up the machines to use magic packets to turn the machine on from your remote machine.
Thanks, I'm surprised since I have used teamviewer and remote desktop among a few but for whatever reason I newer noticed this option in windows, and even XP has it.
I will definitely give it a try. :salute:

On limited connections. It is nice to be able to control bandwidth usage. Otherwisee it would suck up bandwidth and choke the connection.

On limited connections. It is nice to be able to control bandwidth usage. Otherwisee it would suck up bandwidth and choke the connection.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I just tried it and even with the highest Lan setting it's choppy even dragging windows is not smooth.

Synergy is the closest smooth solution I've found, but it only does keyboard and mouse as you've found out. RDC is almost always a little choppy.

Back