• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 budget gaming pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baggedmazda

bonus comes this friday so i am gona build me a new box to handle new games and future games. i have been out of the loop since building my c2d system so i need some help.

thinks i am leaning towards
570 or ati equal
rasa 750 wc loop(i have 3 shedding dogs air gets clogged in a day it seems)

really need help with
mobo
psu (maybe go sli after a while maybe around tax season)
anything i am missing

i will be reusing
case (cm690)
all my hard drives

2500k ~220
gtx570 ~320, though I'd really recommend an ASUS DCUII or MSI Lightning, they both have better power delivery section than the stock card which is known to throttle under heavy load.. (think furmark, not BF3 or anything) plus better cooling.. If SLI is an option in the future, go MSI as its only a 2 slot card as opposed to the ASUS' 3 slot design.. add 40
rasa 750 ~130 You may also want to look into the H100 or H80. It'd save you about the difference in the non-reference 570 and would require no maintenance..
That puts you at around 690 or so..

This Mobo would give you the z68 chipset so you can add a small SSD later for SSD cache, and it's GEN 3 so you can drop in an IB chip later on.. Also supports PCIe 3.0 SLI

and This PSU would work very nicely I think. I love Corsair PSU's and it's a good price..

If you need RAM, This kit would be a great fit to that system and would just fly!

all told, with stock 570 and Rasa kit: 999
all told, MSI Lightning and H100: 1009

i dont bench so that wont come into play with my gfx card just gaming
i am gona try to price match to get my 2500 down to 180

i have looked into the h100 for cooling but i would rather have room to expand later maybe to throw my gfx in the loop something you cant do with the corsair unit

is that 650 unit enough to handle overclocking and 2 570's with some headroom i figured something like a 800+ unit

is there a reason i should use that ram i can get 2x as much and spend less money on a kit that i had my eye on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

You're trying to buy parts at a poor time to be honest. Xmas is one of the worst if not THE worst to be buying PC parts unless you are bargain hunting. We have a new CPU release in Q2 and a new GPU release in Q1 as well as a new set of motherboards in Q2 that have native USB3.0 support.

The only "platform" that has longevity at the moment would be LGA2011 but that has a whole different set of problems with it; mostly related to cost. What are you using now exactly?

Just know this; if you buy now you will miss 22nm tri-gate based Ivy bridge who by all accounts will hit 5ghz with moderate cooling in addition to Tahiti which is going to be about 30% better than the HD6970 and Kepler which will likely be about the same in reference to the GTX580.

So that said the CPU, motherboard, and video card you intend on purchasing will be EOL in 90 days or less. You really want to buy now? You sure?

Honestly if you waited this long another 3-4 months wont kill ya and you can buy things on the margin that will not need to be replaced in that time period. Like RAM, maybe an SSD and a new case and cooling; monitor too. But buying barebones parts with the knowledge that they are soon to be EOL, unless you're getting a hell of a good deal I don't see how its worth it. Launch prices for the new stuff is out and it isn't a whole lot more than current MSRP prices.

as of now i am on a c2d at 3.5 with 4 gigs og ddr2 with a 5770 and a 22in lcd that i dont see me going from anytime soon unless i get a great deal on something way bigger.

i have a 16 gig ssd sitting on my desk but it is to small to even fit win 7 so i am gona craigslist it and try to grab a 64 for booting and put some of my current games on it

as of now i am on a c2d at 3.5 with 4 gigs og ddr2 with a 5770 and a 22in lcd that i dont see me going from anytime soon unless i get a great deal on something way bigger.

i have a 16 gig ssd sitting on my desk but it is to small to even fit win 7 so i am gona craigslist it and try to grab a 64 for booting and put some of my current games on it

www.slickdeals.net

You just missed last week for Cyber Monday an enormous sale on SSDs; I just picked up a pair of intel 320s for $150 a piece, no MIR, just tax from Best Buy. They are bound to have another one before Xmas, Id keep an eye in SD and see what you can pick up.

If it makes a different the next release of Intel Rapid Storage Utility is going to enable TRIM on RAID'ed SSDs which is why I bought a pair. Something to keep in mind.

Quite honestly tho; your PC is fine there isn't a whole lot "wrong" with it. What I would do is look at a higher grade heatsink and perhaps another case; something that would fit an Corsair H100 or equivalent (H80 if you like your case) and just bang the hell out of your current chip till it dies and go that route.

But definitely keep an eye on SD, never know what's going to pop up on that site.

my buddys have been getting imation ssds that are mtron for crazy cheap i paid 20 bucks for my 16 gig and the 64s are going for around 50 120s dont pop up to much i dont need raid just a decently fast boot and fast game loading

my buddys have been getting imation ssds that are mtron for crazy cheap i paid 20 bucks for my 16 gig and the 64s are going for around 50 120s dont pop up to much i dont need raid just a decently fast boot and fast game loading

$50 eh? Well I guess that would be a worthy $200 investment no? 4 x 64 in raid0 should be perfect for what you're looking for.

i dont need that much storage i think 1or maybe 2 would be ok i will just have win 7 and a couple games on it i have 2 other drives to store stuff on. so what is the time frame for all the new stuff to come out if i dont buy in a decent time frame the money is going to go to other hobbies mainly a new turbo and dsmlink for my eclipse this spring

i dont need that much storage i think 1or maybe 2 would be ok i will just have win 7 and a couple games on it i have 2 other drives to store stuff on. so what is the time frame for all the new stuff to come out if i dont buy in a decent time frame the money is going to go to other hobbies mainly a new turbo and dsmlink for my eclipse this spring

You want atleast 120GB minimum; the higher capacity you run the drive the more often it has to TRIM which will greately increase the wear on the drive long term. So higher capacities are a thing you want to look at.

As for the parts in question its Q1/Q2 2012 that they will be released. As for the other stuff; why don't you buy that now instead?

Back